Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

q3anon

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2020
For those who want to play windows games or install programs that are available only for Windows on macOS I found the app Whisky that is based on Wine, but is free unlike Crossover, Parallels or VMWare Fusion.

mystery hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2021
It’s free for personal use. Register at the link below to get a license key.

IMG_2153.jpeg

Reactions: Chuckeee

nottorp

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2014
Romania
For arm macs, has anyone tried running games in a VM that runs windows 11 for arm?

Crossover works fine for me, but yes it's paid.

PlayOnMac seems to have stopped working.

How's this Whisky app on arm?

q3anon

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2020
For arm macs, has anyone tried running games in a VM that runs windows 11 for arm?

Whisky works great on arm.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA

I have been using Parallels Desktop since I got an M1. It works very well. X86 support on Windows is on par with Rosetta2. Parallels does not support DirectX12. Parallels is much better than VMware Fusion.

nottorp

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2014
Romania
I have been using Parallels Desktop since I got an M1. It works very well. X86 support on Windows is on par with Rosetta2. Parallels does not support DirectX12. Parallels is much better than VMware Fusion.

You are running win 11 arm in parallels and run windows x86 apps through the windows x86 emulation right? With games?

I've tried said win 11 arm for professional purposes but i needed AVX instructions for that project and the emulation doesn't do that. So trying games kinda went on the back burner, esp considering I already pay for Crossover and it works.

Gonna try Whiskey some time in the future too, and depending on your answer, maybe even Parallels... (i was using UTM).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.