Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

droplink

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2014
So guys, what are the common thoughts on M1 gaming currently?
Now that the M1 is mature, what are your thoughts on the various options?
Windows wont natively run on M1x machines, because MS wont release it, and Apple wont install a TPM chip in the Macs.

Parallels works, but it requires a yearly subscription for the full version (yeah, I wont pay for software by subscription...) and also not all games work, as its not a full system.

So, what is the situation?
Forget there is something called Windows gaming on a mac?

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Don't forget Crossover. It has good support for many games and they're working on DX 12 support too.

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
Don't forget Crossover. It has good support for many games and they're working on DX 12 support too.

so clue me in as I am really confused by what they provide, are they running intel based window apps on the M1?

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
PortingKit (Wine) is also an alternative.

GeForce Now
This is also my current gameplan for future AAA games, for when I get my Mac Studio.. I am done waiting for Apple giving us proper GPU support at non-ridiculous prices. And the fact that the well looks completely dry, when it comes to actual porting of future games for macOS..

Radeon Yesterday. ;)

Any thoughts about how it works for you apart from that one statement?
What is good / bad?
I tried it a bit on my 2011 iMac half a year ago, and came out quite impressed. See also my note above.

so clue me in as I am really confused by what they provide, are they running intel based window apps on the M1?
They provide a Windows wrapper for macOS, that currently it runs on Rosetta2, so it should work in general. As for long term, see this blog post.

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
This is my current gameplan for future AAA games, for when I get my Mac Studio.. I am done waiting for Apple giving us proper GPU support at non-ridiculous prices.

I tried it a bit on my 2011 iMac half a year ago, and came out quite impressed. See also my note above.

Currently it runs on Rosetta2, so it should work in general. As for long term, see this blog post.
GeForce Now worked really well when I tried it.

The only limitation really is on your network speeds.

Reactions: Irishman

droplink

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2014
I tried the free version, and it does seem to work.
I had a hiccup or two during the game because of the network speed / breakup, but it was playable.
The problem though, is the supported games list. My favourite games Fallout and Borderlands are not supported, it seems.

Reactions: Irishman

lazygolfer666

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2021
I used to play Lineage 2 through VM Ware when I had a Mac. I’m planning to buy a M1 but now reading that this may doesnt work?

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
This is also my current gameplan for future AAA games, for when I get my Mac Studio.. I am done waiting for Apple giving us proper GPU support at non-ridiculous prices. And the fact that the well looks completely dry, when it comes to actual porting of future games for macOS..
Yeah, I hoped that Feral or Aspyr would have announced new AAA titles for M1 by now.

I would have thought Feral would, for instance, have had Dirt 5 and a newer Grid on their Silicon radar..?

Those are the 2 games I really like, next to X-Plane.
Anticipating X-Plane 12, I am hoping to get Mac Studio Max (10 / 32) soon....

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Last edited:

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
Crossover is the best best running on an actual Mac and not cloud service. I wouldn't wait on DX12 support though, which is as early as Crossover 23 if everything goes without any hickup. So that means a fall 2023 release.

jackhunt

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2022
Playing games on m1 like cooking fever , pubg and other games on m1 is very smooth some times when you play heavy games it feels slow for couple of second but ita ignor able.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.