Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyeluvmyimac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2002
Hey all, Panther just arrived at 2:01 pm -- installation took over an hour!! (It was upgrade not clean install).

Anyways, I love everything, including expose, except that when using it, the windows blur. Nobody else I know is having this problem so I don't know what it could be. I thought maybe font smoothing, but it's on the default (medium, font size 8), and I thought maybe brightness, but it happens throughout the brightness scale. I've attached two pictures, 1st of how it normally looks, and should look, 2nd how it looks in expose. Look at the text of the windows to see the blur -- really really really annoying. Thanks for any input you may have.

Not Blurred
Blurred

Thanks again!

Oh and btw, I'm using my new 15" AluPB if the computer/LCD makes any difference.

ihparker

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2003
Mine is blurry as well

When I use Expose to see various screens of an application, the screens become blurry until I select the screen that I want to use.

This happens to an even greater extent when using it to see all open windows.

I thought that this is just how the function works.

I am using a Dual Powermac g4 1.4GHz with a 20" Apple Cinema Display and an ATI 9600 Pro Card.

I will also install on my new 15" Alum Powerbook tonight to see if I have the same blur.

Do you know people who are not getting the blurry effect?

saabmp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tacoma, WA
I THINK this has something to do with the fact that the window is getting resized to 'x' (x being the percentage that the window isresized to). Because of this is has to shrink pixels to conform to the new size. When you think you do x=0% it might actually be doing x=.5% and this tiny amount of shrinkage means that the windows have to move stuff around. However, when doing this moving it must AA the new stuff and this might be the side product of this.

BEN

etoiles

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2002
Where the air is crisp
I don't have Panther installed, but that sort of thing happens when you rescale graphics (as mentioned above). It even happens in Photoshop when you don't rescale by 2's (50%, 25% etc.), you get little aliasing effects because the engine can't just merge full pixels together. It is more noticable on illustrations/line drawings than photos, it would certainly show up on GUI stuff...is it really THAT annoying ? I think you should use Windows for an hour just to put things back into perspective :D

[mod. edit - Insult]

ihparker

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2003
Was the flame really necessary?

I think all the original poster was trying to determine was whether this was normal.

saabmp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tacoma, WA
Flame? I don't see much flame here. This was actually a good discussion about WHAT happens when expose does it's thing. Build a tolerance.

BEN

PS. Ooops, wait, I didn't read the last line. That was sorta jackassish.

etoiles

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2002
Where the air is crisp
[mod. edit - Insult]

:confused:
Oh common, if I call someone 'a spoiled kid' with a big grin smiley afterwards, then you can assume that this is a friendly poke, not an insult. Sorry if I offendend anyone...

My point was that we are all 'spoiled kids' with a fantastic looking OSX, we are so used to top quality that it is difficult for us to tolerate anything less than perfect.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
As always, sarcasm is tough to convey on message boards, even with smileys.

I understand what your point is now, but that's not quite how it came across before. Anyways...

I agree, we are spoiled by OS X, and supporting Windows at work only makes me appreciate Macs more.

I'll check out the Exposé thing once I get Panther installed this weekend.

eyeluvmyimac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2002
hey all -- no prob etoiles -- i didnt even see the original comment

anyways the problem is still there -- and i guess we are all spoiled, and ive just come to expect a certain level of clarity when looking at my windows =)

i do know people who say they are not seeing the blurriness that i have -- but maybe they just dont notice? i dunno -- ive showed them the pics i took and they noticed it on mine....oh well -- we will see what the general concensus is later and what apple says about it

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
Originally posted by snickelfritz
I believe the windows in Expose are actually textured images, similar to surfaces in 3D games.

probably it's normal.

Absolutely correct. That's how Quartz Extreme works--windows are OpenGL textures, much like surfaces in video games.

eyeluvmyimac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2002
good to hear -- glad mine isnt abnormal -- hopefully apple will fix it =) or ill become accustomed to ti

fraeone

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2003
Seattle, WA
The scaling is kept to a relatively low quality because if they raised it the performance would be worse. It would be nice if they had a slider for that setting though.

I don't really mind it though. Expose is just super glorified window switching, it's meant to be looked at for just a second or two, not for extended periods of time.

etoiles

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2002
Where the air is crisp
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
As always, sarcasm is tough to convey on message boards, even with smileys.

I understand what your point is now, but that's not quite how it came across before. Anyways...

Rower_CPU: agreed, and you are doing a good job moderating these forums. I'll be more thoughtful next time.

eyeluvmyimac: good sport, your question was of course totally valid. And you are not spoiled, you have just developed a very keen eye for details ;) (consider this a compliment)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.