Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heliora

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
I am using a MacBook Air with OS X Lion Version 10.7.3.

I installed Windows 7 using Boot Camp Assistant, after installing and using it for a bit I realised I allocated too little space for it. In trying to save time, instead of backing up and wiping out the partition and resizing and restoring Windows, what I did was I resized the Mac partition smaller using Disk Utility, and then booted into Windows and used MiniTool Partition Wizard to resize it larger. At first it went ok, I could boot into Windows after that. But when I booted into Mac, Disk Utility still reported the original Windows size at 50GB, when it's supposed to have been enlarged to 120GB. I clicked verify disk and I suspect it caused all hell to break loose.

To cut the long story short, right now I can no longer access Windows 7. Disk Utility can't mount the Windows partition and still reports it wrongly at 50GB, and I can't boot into Windows, it shows error message. Trying to repair with Windows repair utility during startup was of no avail.

After reading and researching for hours on the internet, I'm still not quite sure what to do. I've installed and used testdisk to check the partition status, at first it showed a gap between the Mac and Windows partitions, but after some more checks it shows the Windows partition of the correct size, but I couldn't write the correct partition table as it showed write error.

Using gdisk shows the inaccurate partition table with a gap between the 2 partitions. I've attached a screenshot showing both utilities and the partition tables.

So right now I think what I need to do is write the partition table using information from testdisk with gdisk, but I'm not too sure how to do it, do I create new partitions and input the sector values? Or am I mistaken here? I'm still a little confused with GPT and hybrid MBR, when gdisk shows the partition table, that is GPT right, where's the hybrid MBR?

I would really appreciate it if anyone could help me out here, I've spent many hours almost banging my head for this. Thanks in advance.

------

Resolved it, using gdisk, deleted Windows partition and recreated using data from testdisk. Restarted into rEFIt's boot menu and opened partition tool, synced MBR with GPT. Right now Windows partition is accessible once again!

Fingers crossed that everything is ok now.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-16 at 12.48.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-16 at 12.48.20 AM.png
    393.7 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.