Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bidge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
New Zealand
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/player.asp

Blatantly ripping off iTunes 3 and making it sound as if they had the idea of having ratings and smart playlists in songs.

"The first all-in-one, Smart Jukebox
Keep your media organized with Smart Jukebox features. Be your own DJ with Ratings and Auto Playlists. Quickly burn Audio or Data CDs with ease."

And they called their technology instant-on as well.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Old news.

The page was last updated November 4th.
The piss level was last updated when viewers began re-reading this, or seeing it for the first time.

Maybe Ms. V has something to say about this?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
We installed this pre release on a W2K box at work...it's crashed the thing! As soon as you tried to log in everything just stopped.
We had to boot into recovery mode and uninstall it.

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Originally posted by edesignuk
We had to boot into recovery mode and uninstall it.

Can you actually uninstall it?

I've heard that to really get it off your system, you have to do a complete system wipe.

bidge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
New Zealand
I also had a look through the Movie Maker thing and apart from that stealing all of Apple's exact ideas they have system recommendations listed at 1.5 Ghz, or we could always just run iMovie fine at 500Mhz or less, but oh well.

Grrr....:mad:

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
the first thing i said when i installed the first leaked build i found was "what a rip off" cuz all i noticed was copy cat features of itunes, i think i posted about that a long time ago tho, i got my hands on one of the betas back in the end of august and in oct the public betas started surfacing...
i dont like the ui and ya it has too many features on itunes

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
I understand that WMP is going to support streaming surround sound. Does anyone know if QT is slated to add this feature?

Dan

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by alset
I understand that WMP is going to support streaming surround sound. Does anyone know if QT is slated to add this feature?

Dan

Quicktime doesn't deal with surround sound at this point, but it's a good guess that it will soon- and my hope is that the whole platform embraces it.

I'd imagine when that happens you'll see streaming surround sound :)

pnw

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
ive been using it. its works great. little complicated. i didnt have any problems with it in xp. make sure you have service pack 3 installed when you put wmp9 on 2k.

iJon

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Originally posted by King Cobra

Maybe Ms. V has something to say about this?

You bet your scaly ass I do.

WMP9 was one of the few things I wish I had not downloaded for one simple reason.

You couldn't uninstall it.
Yes, you heard me, a beta with known bugs and questionable stability you couldn't uninstall.
But you could do something called a system restore which would them wipe it from your computer, but not all of it, along with anything else you happened to install in the period of time you shose to 'restore your system'

WMP9 was the thing that set me off about MS. I then realized that I had put up with the bullsh|t too long.
It's one of the reasons I plan to get rid of Windows altogeher within the next year.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Originally posted by edvniow
You bet your scaly ass I do.

WMP9 was the thing that set me off about MS. I then realized that I had put up with the bullsh|t too long.
It's one of the reasons I plan to get rid of Windows altogeher within the next year.

But tell us how you really feel...

J/K. I know how you feel I had the same problems. I have had so many things go wrong with my Windows computers that you can trace right back to M$. From multiple BSODs to installation/unistallation nightmares to registry errors, faulty DLLs, and just general bad computing. Don't you love it when WMP changes all of your settings, and then it's impossible to completely remove? Like M$'s Instant MESSenger.

Sometimes I miss my old Performa 6400 (which still works BTW, I just don't have it anymore).

dricci

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2001
Look how cluttered that is! Maybe I'm just spoiled by Apple, but I could never "Switch" to Windows or Linux just for the fact that they make everything look so cluttered! Why do they need 20 buttons in one window? iTunes seems to work fine with 5 or 6... gah, nobody has any style anymore. :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.