Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Billy95Tech

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
Today i just found out the some of the Windows metro apps are not working and when i try to start them up and it immediately closes and goes back to the start sceen.

And each time i reboot my Windows 8 tablet in the desktop opening up Firefox it keeps asking me to choose Firefox as your default browser and i keep saying yes but it keeps happening.

I think i have a virus on my Windows 8 tablet but my Anti Virus(Avast, Avira) did not find any viruses.

How do i fix this and the Firefox default browser thing???

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Today i just found out the some of the Windows metro apps are not working and when i try to start them up and it immediately closes and goes back to the start sceen.

And each time i reboot my Windows 8 tablet in the desktop opening up Firefox it keeps asking me to choose Firefox as your default browser and i keep saying yes but it keeps happening.

I think i have a virus on my Windows 8 tablet but my Anti Virus(Avast, Avira) did not find any viruses.

How do i fix this???

You likely don't have a virus. Very few windows users get virus's these days. What people get infected with is 'malware' .... The anti-virus software is next to useless these days and can be simply replaced with 1. common sense and 2. malwarebytes anti-malware.

* optional - boot into safemode

1) Download the free version and install.
https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/
2) Let it update.
3) Scan.
4) Remove the malware.

Simples.

khha4113

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2013
You likely don't have a virus. Very few windows users get virus's these days. What people get infected with is 'malware' .... The anti-virus software is next to useless these days and can be simply replaced with 1. common sense and 2. malwarebytes anti-malware.

2) Let it update.
3) Scan.
4) Remove the malware.

Simples.

Actually, anti-virus softwares nowadays also have anti-malwares, so if he's already had anti-virus (Avast is one of the best), there is no need to install another anti-malwares.

----------

How do i fix this???

You can try to refresh it.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Actually, anti-virus softwares nowadays also have anti-malwares, so if he's already had anti-virus (Avast is one of the best), there is no need to install another anti-malwares.

----------

Considering the amount of computers I fix for malware each week with every antivirus software under the sun installed - I would say my own experience is contrary to that.

Downloading malwarebytes free - running it is infinitely better option than having to factory restore as Billy has already been down that road before with this device.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I wonder if eventviewer would tell him why the apps are closing.

I don't have FF installed on my Surface, but you can check to see if FF is set to run when the computer boots, I know Chrome is set to, plus Windows tries to be helpful and reopen some applications if they were open on reboot.

The startup items are listed in Task Manager now and you can disable them from there.

Billy95Tech

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 18, 2014

2) Let it update.
3) Scan.
4) Remove the malware.

Simples.

----------

I wonder if eventviewer would tell him why the apps are closing.

I don't have FF installed on my Surface, but you can check to see if FF is set to run when the computer boots, I know Chrome is set to, plus Windows tries to be helpful and reopen some applications if they were open on reboot.

The startup items are listed in Task Manager now and you can disable them from there.

Ok i downloaded the Malwarebytes and it scanned and at the end it did not find any viruses or anything like that and it actually made ALL of my Windows (even the default)metro apps stop working and immediately closes and goes back to the start sceen Now i can't use the video player Windows Metro app because of this!!!!

And every time i boot up and open Firefox it keeps asking me to choose Firefox as your default browser and i keep saying yes but it keeps happening.

And sometimes when i boot up my Windows 8 tablets there is a cursor in the of the sceen and before the User login sceen it goes away and i have not have my USB mouse plugged when i see it.

And it is becoming slower everyday opening firefox and other apps are not loading not as fast anymore and when i do a task it lags for about 2 seconds and it proceeds to do the task, it is annoying sometimes especailly when i do some video editing/making Youtube videos.. :/

What should i do?? Should i factory reset my Windows 8 tablet again or not?? I don't really want to do that again....

I really don't know what to do..... :/ :/

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Malwarebytes shouldn't cause issues like that at all.

But since your issues are getting worse I'd do a factory reset at this stage - it seems lesser of two evils at this stage.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Malwarebytes shouldn't cause issues like that at all.

But since your issues are getting worse I'd do a factory reset at this stage - it seems lesser of two evils at this stage.

He can try a refresh first, see if that helps (it keeps accounts and apps). If not, then a reset is next.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.