Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reggaenald

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 26, 2021
Often when I restart my Mac windows of either open or log-in apps aren't where they were before the restart, notably the "full screen" apps on my desktops are all in the same partially-off-screen position, which I find very annoying.
How do I stop that behaviour once and for all?
Or is this just another bug that I have to life with?

Screenshot 2022-05-04 at 12.27.59.png

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Probably a bug. Maybe try not putting the apps in full screen and see what happens.

I don't seem to have this issue, but I rarely log out of/restart my machine so I don't really pay attention to such things.

Reggaenald

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 26, 2021
Probably a bug. Maybe try not putting the apps in full screen and see what happens.

I don't seem to have this issue, but I rarely log out of/restart my machine so I don't really pay attention to such things.
It also happens to other apps, like System Preferences, which either aren't in full screen or can't be resized. Sometimes SysPref appears partially off screen as well.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
So did this just suddenly start happening, or has it done this for as long as you can remember?

A good practice would be to note when something happens for the first time. If you also keep a log of changes you've made, such as adding software, updating, changing screen resolutions, settings, etc., then you might find the culprit more easily.

Reactions: Reggaenald

Reggaenald

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 26, 2021
So did this just suddenly start happening, or has it done this for as long as you can remember?

A good practice would be to note when something happens for the first time. If you also keep a log of changes you've made, such as adding software, updating, changing screen resolutions, settings, etc., then you might find the culprit more easily.
It started with Big Sur I believe, but I haven’t kept track of what you suggest. I might consider that, thank you ? albeit I’d like my Mac to “just work”. Oh well, I’ve known for a few years now that that’s just an illusion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.