Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BFMC999

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2005
I recently saw a pc with OSX running on it. And that's neat. I'm mainly a Windows user but I've remained respectful to Apple hardware but I can't stand OSX. It's stable and it's easy to use but I much rather prefer the unrestricted control a knowledgeable user can have over Windows. Thus leads me to my question;

Has anyone gotten or heard of anyone getting Windows to run on a Mac without an excruciatingly slow emulator? Is there any chance of this happening in the future?

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I don't mean to sound rude, but the problem isn't that OSX doesn't allow control, the problem is that you're not a knowledgeable user. There is no way to get Windows to run at full speed (or even decent speed) on a Mac, and there is no reason to use Apple hardware if you aren't paying the extra money for OSX.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
BFMC999 said:
Has anyone gotten or heard of anyone getting Windows to run on a Mac without an excruciatingly slow emulator? Is there any chance of this happening in the future?

Windows is compiled for x86. Macs are currently PPC. The instruction sets are totally incompatible. This is the reason for Virtual PC.

Assuming you want to run a much less capable OS then you will have to wait for:

1) MS to compile Windows for PPC not x86 (this did used to happen)
2) Wait for Intel based Macs and hope for driver support/boot loader support (maybe January).

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
If you are into unrestricted conrol then your best bet is Unix/Linux - and OS X is a member of that family.

Windows will probably be able to run on the upcoming Intel-based Macs, although if you are planning on buying a Mac just to run Windows on it I think you need to re-examine your priorities - you'd be much better of building yourself a PC.

tpjunkie

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
NYC
In OS X you can literally control just about any aspect of the the operating system via terminal. I would argue that an expert *nix user has more "unrestricted control" over OS X than an expert windows user can have under XP.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
BFMC999 said:
I recently saw a pc with OSX running on it. And that's neat. I'm mainly a Windows user but I've remained respectful to Apple hardware but I can't stand OSX. It's stable and it's easy to use but I much rather prefer the unrestricted control a knowledgeable user can have over Windows. Thus leads me to my question;

In the future it can be done with virtualisation

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
tpjunkie said:
In OS X you can literally control just about any aspect of the the operating system via terminal. I would argue that an expert *nix user has more "unrestricted control" over OS X than an expert windows user can have under XP.

I am sure many OSX Server admins will disagree with you on this one.

Morn

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005

I think an important thing to consider is how easy to use this control over the system is, a unix terminal is not very easy to use. Windows will offer GUI tools for such tasks like regedit. Though the thing is there is really very little a typical power user will need to change in OSX that can't be done from the GUI. The only thing I've needed to change from the terminal is the smb.conf file to put in the correct workgroup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.