Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Is anybody following this?

Basically, Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 will be able to emulate full Windows 10 and all its applications. This is not Windows RT, but full Windows. According to Microsoft and Qualcomm, this will allow devices to have all-day battery life and integrated LTE. I've watched demos on YouTube and this seems like a game changer indeed. Companies such as HP and Lenovo will release devices with Snapdragon 835 running Windows later this year.

Intel seems to be worried and threatening with lawsuits, as emulation would violate its IP rights.

If Qualcomm and Microsoft can go forward and launch this project (and Intel is not able to stop them), it has the potential to be really great and even steal the game from Intel's architecture.

Does anybody else think that this can really change computers as we know them?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Does anybody else think that this can really change computers as we know them?
No, I don't think it will. Not every device can benefit from "full" Windows. What Microsoft needed to do, IMO, is intelligently strip out most of the enterprise subsystems from Windows for home use.

Sorry, but Windows on ARM is no different than Windows RT. All Windows applications written for x86 will need to be recompiled.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
No, I don't think it will. Not every device can benefit from "full" Windows. What Microsoft needed to do, IMO, is intelligently strip out most of the enterprise subsystems from Windows for home use.

Sorry, but Windows on ARM is no different than Windows RT. All Windows applications written for x86 will need to be recompiled.

According to Microsoft and Qualcomm, the applications do not need to be recompiled. The ARM processor will emulate the functionality of x86. So, devices equipped with ARM processors will be able to run Windows 10 and all its applications without the need to recompile. It's not Windows RT all over again.

Look here:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...announce-snapdragon-835-pcs-with-gigabit-lte/

https://www.qualcomm.com/news/relea...agship-companies-build-windows-10-pcs-powered

The demos show that the emulation runs pretty fast. I was impressed seeing the videos on YouTube:

Not every device can benefit from Windows 10. But there can be laptops equipped with Snapdragon 835 which should be more energy-efficient than Kaby Lake. Snapdragon 835 is made on a 10nm process and has some 3 billion transistors. Intel is only expected to launch its first 10nm processor in H2 2018. And the Snapdragon has integrated LTE.

This could potentially mean thinner and lighter laptops, some really useful 2-in-1s, with all-day battery life (they claim 50% more battery), and LTE.

I don't know if all this will end up being as expected. I won't believe it until I see it, but it seems promising. And Intel seems worried and is threatening with legal action to prevent x86 emulation:

https://newsroom.intel.com/editorials/x86-approaching-40-still-going-strong/

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
The legal battle between Qualcomm and Apple revealed Qualcomm's next generation chip, Snapdragon 845, which is set to be introduced early next year. Snapdragon 845, which will run Windows 10 as well, was supposed to be built on a 7nm process, but Qualcomm apparently pushed back and will still produce it in 10nm. The 7nm process will be left for the next generation chip (likely Snapdragon 855), to be introduced in early 2019. That's still impressive, since Intel is going to introduce its first 10nm chip late in late 2018.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.