Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dichterDD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2023
I tried to install Windows on a MacPro 5,1 (R9 280X) via Bootcamp. I first tried Windows 10 which turned to black screen in the middle of the Installation. I later thought that its a Driver Problem. Some time later i now installed Windows 11 by removing the OSX drives and using another SSD and USB Stick to install it. After internet connection i think Windows downloaded some AMD Drivers and Screen turned black. I removed all Drivers usind another PC.

Is this a Driver Problem or do i have to install Windows in BIOS Mode?

RinkDinkus

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2022
Instagram: maxzeuner
Looks like it might be a driver problem: https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/r9-280x-compatibility-with-windows-11/m-p/495070

However, this LTT forum says that Win 10 drivers would work and that they actually have reinstated support in a new driver revision??

I know Windows 11 is facing some backlash with supposedly providing old AMD drivers different than the versions that AMD suggests to use to have the latest patches and compatibility.

How are you installing the OS? I made installs when I had OpenCore installed on my Mac Pro and never had any issues. Just picked my windows USB from the boot picker, loaded it up, and installed. Make sure that you are also putting in the necessary files in the windows EFI partition that allow the disk to be booted from

dichterDD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2023
I had no luck installing OpenCore. The Mac was patched several times to install Catalina and something seems to be broken. So before setting up a fresh OSX and starting from scratch i tried installing Windows like it was the only OS by removing the OSX drive and Plugging in a new SSD and the Win11 USB Stick.

The interresting thing is, that i had the same issues with Win10 even while the inslallation.

MacPro is Updated to the newest Firmware and so on so i assume that installing Windows in EFI Mode is OK.
I also wanted to try installing it by using a DVD (burned it yesterday - dont know when i burned DVDs the last time :D ) and installing it in BIOS (Legacy) Mode (if possible).

...Make sure that you are also putting in the necessary files in the windows EFI partition that allow the disk to be booted from
what do you mean by that?

Windows is Booting but maybe i have to do a clean install of OSX, setup OC to create the right environment.

Last edited:

RinkDinkus

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2022
Instagram: maxzeuner

Follow the steps in this video. Martin Lo has made a super helpful file that he updates somewhat regularly that is an OpenCore installation tailored to the 2009-2012 Mac Pro models. You really don’t have to mess with any of the files, they are pretty much all there. I believe that he has compiled all the necessary for a successful OpenCore install and setup.

Also reference this guide from MacRumors as well—I remember having to do this when installing windows. It was not as simple as plugging in the USB and installing to the disk, there were a few extra steps to take via command line https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/opencore-on-the-mac-pro.2207814/

dichterDD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2023
So i have a working Open Core Installation working using the Open Core legacy Patcher. Worked great. Also the Installation of Windows 10 or 11 worked good. The only exception is still the graphics Driver. I tried a RTX 2080 and it worked under Windows without Problems - but OSX does not Recognize it so its no solution. I tried many different drivers and spend many hours in removing them by starting in safe mode and using DDU. None was working - every driver turns the screen black as soon it is installed.

one driver i recognized had some image showing from time to time but stood black most of the time. No Luck for me.
I also tried everything under Windows 10.

is there a specific Driver i could try for Win 10 for the R9 280X?

dichterDD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2023
Solved.

i reinstalled Windows 10 in BIOS/Legacy mode beside OC and now drivers are working.

So MP 5,1 with that Graphics card is not working under UEFI. I bet Win11 would also work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.