Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Agincourt

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
As of now I've got three Apple computers which are all incomplete. Steam has announced they will no longer support Windows 7, so my two versions are now worthless. I wish to know what would be the cheapest options for upgrading or buying Windows 10 or 11 for two machines. Will be using boot camp for these.

My latest computer is MacBook Pro 2019 with parallels and a 'generic' Windows 11 which I cannot also apply to a boot camp partition.

I've got an old 2012 iMac and 2017 Mac mini which are upgraded to 32 GB RAM and should handle the video demands of the games I want to play. I wish to get a new and/or official version of Windows 11 for these machines, but I refuse to dump $260 between two old computers I don't know will be supported in the future. The games I've got don't need a high-end computer, I just need something that will run STEAM.

Were this four years ago, STEAM and Windows 7 would have worked perfectly for this. Now because STEAM won't allow me to install on Windows 7, I have to upgrade to Windows 10 just to download it.

Last edited:

carylee2002

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
You don't need windows 11 to run steam and the videocard on the 2017 Mini is subpar unless you have a external gpu setup with a thirdparty gpu. You can download windows 10 for free but not be registered on either machine. There are places on ebay that sells the codes by themselves to register legally. I have windows 10 on both my macmini's and runs fine. I have them both dedicated to windows and trashed both Mac OS partitions so it just boots like a windows machine. But I preferred it this way for gaming and steam. If I want to do Mac OS..I just turn on my Macpro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.