Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 16, 2003
This c|net article suggests that graphics-rich applications developed using Microsofts WPF/E software will run on several platforms where Mac OS X is one of them. This is news to me at least.

csubear

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
While this is a big step for Microsoft, its not a new concept. Trolltech's QT framework has been doing this for a while.

X-Baz

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2002
Leeds, England
Sounds to me that it is a next generation version of X-Windows or Terminal Services/Remote Desktop on a Mac.

MS gets to tie developers into Windows and sell lots of Terminal Server licences (which aren't cheap).

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
gekko513 said:
This c|net article suggests that graphics-rich applications developed using Microsofts WPF/E software will run on several platforms where Mac OS X is one of them. This is news to me at least.
Sorry but this is a very very small subset of the Graphics layer that will be supported, only layout and simple drawing (web based graphics) will be ported, the true DirectX powered stuff wont be happening, just read the article...

If we're luck or unlucky however you think, we'll get metro (PDF killer) support...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.