Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
London
hi guys, my imac c2d will be arriving in a day or 2 and i will be bootcamping it. but i have a couple of quick questions. if i install the vista rc1 how long will it last (to release?) and when it runs out i doubt i will buy it for the price will it be easy to just install xp on the partition or will that be a pain process? thanks guys. trying to be prepared for a nice setup experience on arrival.

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
It expires June 1st, 2007.

To install XP all you will need to do is pop the XP CD in the drive and format the current Vista partition during the install. Very easy stuff.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
speakerwizard said:
hi guys, my imac c2d will be arriving in a day or 2 and i will be bootcamping it. but i have a couple of quick questions. if i install the vista rc1 how long will it last (to release?) and when it runs out i doubt i will buy it for the price will it be easy to just install xp on the partition or will that be a pain process? thanks guys. trying to be prepared for a nice setup experience on arrival.
vista doesn't use FAT32, which xp uses so u can read/write data on to that drive even in OS X.. so if you want to do that, you have to remove the partition in OS X, and repartition...

but again, that whole partition is nothing compare to the installation process.
the partition might take 10/15 mins or so, and installation+mac driver might take a hr or so..

why dont you want to get vista, you'll have to get XP anyway or do you have XP?

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
London
yeah, i have an xp thats not in use at mo. i have just recieved my imac and its great, more on that later, having trouble installing vista now, if anyone can help please see my please please help thread, thanks

sonictonic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2006
San Jose, California
Hey there, may I come into this thread please for some additional assistance? :)

- Would it be better to make a ~40GB partition on my MacBook, and install Windows XP Home Edition, and then upgrade it with the Vista RC1 disc? Or, should I start from scratch with Bootcamp, and do a freshly clean install of Vista RC1 alone?

- What will it take to get the full visual effects of Vista (aero (lol), etc.) on my MacBook?

- Does Vista come with Windows Media Player 11 or 10? And if it comes with 11, is there a way to downgrade? I hear 11 really messes up DRM stuff with WMV and WMA stuff (which I have)...?

Many thanks in advance! :D

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
I'm also interesting in knowing the answer to the first of the above questions :) Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.