Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dane D.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2004
ohio
I joined in on a thread about video cards recently. I posted my stock vcard specs and then this happened.
i try to buy whatever gives me the best price/performance ratio. hell, if they could do what i want better and cheaper i'd even buy an apple
My response:
Apple is worth looking at, the hardware is usually better quality than its PC counterpart and you can run XP. Either through Apple's Bootcamp, which requires re-booting or Parallels, which is VM. Bootcamp will allow gaming because you are running XP just like a PC box. Parallels at this point doesn't support 3D gaming, although they have released a Beta which does support 3d gaming (DirectX8 I believe). Plus you can expose yourself to OS X which is light years ahead of VISTA and XP. As for the cost, thats a personal decision, in the long-run the cost is actually less. If running OS X, there are no viruses, adware, spyware or other malwares that PCs have to contend with. I could go on, but won't bore you. Take a look at http://www.apple.com, especially the re-furbs offered through the Apple store. Since they switched to Intel architecture, people are flocking to Apple and switching platforms. They can still fire up XP for that occasional need for a program but most are switching to rid themshelves of having to use Windows. My next computer will be able to run XP for one reason only – Games.
His response:
get back to me when they actually have mouse buttons.
My response:
We already discussed the mouse issue in another thread http://rotfam.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=995. I asked about multi-button mouse, plug-in what you want to use, install the software and away you go. Why is it, PC users never want to discuss other options in computers? I find their attitude toward Macs puzzling. I use both platforms, neither is perfect, but this stubborn attitude of Windows only is amazing to me.
another poster jumps in:
Because if there were any true performance advantages we'd be using it. That being said, it just brings it down to a matter of preference.

You use the word stubborn. To me that that means there are true advantages to using a MAC as opposed to a PC but we just refuse to see the light. I'm sure that is how you see it, ascued as it may be.

You dont see us posting articles bashing MAC and trying to persuade every MAC user that PC is better. That's a MAC user thing. **** they've gone as far as making it a lame ass add campaign. This thread was started as a hardware discussion in general... lets not hijack it! Get over it, everyone will have their own preferences and were not stubborn just because we wont drink the cherry cool aide.

BTW... don't they run the same hardware?? I never heard of a Apple specific guts... processor or mobo, etc.
My response:
All I'm trying to do is ask a question and present a reasonable alternative to Windows. I use 'stubborn' as an adjective, taken straight out of the dictionary – 'having or showing dogged determination not to change one's attitude or position on something, esp. in spite of good arguments or reasons to do so.' I just was responding to Dawgma and his post.
Quote:
lots of words get back to me when they actually have mouse buttons.

I presented my case, for at least looking at a Mac. I know 99% of these readers use a PC, that is why I bought up the fact that one can still use Windows while owning a Mac. You have taken my post personally,
Quote:
**** they've gone as far as making it a lame ass add campaign.
as an attack on your OS of choice. I also wonder if any of these readers have used a Mac. As I have stated, I use both.

As for your last comment about specs, little confused by what you are asking. Are you asking, machines specs, fine see this link http://www.apple.com/macpro/specs.html.
If you mean something else, explain please. I also said that my next Mac computer will be capable of running Windows, be it XP or VISTA or both. My two posts were non-confrontational, not sarcastic, just presenting facts.
What is it about PC users that they can't see out of their Windows. I am the only Mac user in this group and am constantly presenting the Mac as an viable alternative to Windows. But these people will hear nothing of the sort. I guess being a Windows user one cannot understand logic, is stubborn and only cares about games. I just wanted to pass this on to my fellow Mac users to illustrate what I put up with in the gaming community.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
I actually got a Gateway sales representative on their web site agree to "research" Macs because, he admits, even though they were running those atrocious Profile 4 commercials comparing them to G4 iMacs, he couldn't come up with a single advantage the Profile 4 had.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I actually got a Gateway sales representative on their web site agree to "research" Macs because, he admits, even though they were running those atrocious Profile 4 commercials comparing them to G4 iMacs, he couldn't come up with a single advantage the Profile 4 had.

I couldnt take those Profile 4 commercials, even after they made the iMac look bad, it still looked super elagant beside that thing. The only people that dont like Macs that i have encountered are the ones like my girlfriend that dont know much about computers and have used a old slow Mac at one time and figure they are all like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.