Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xstyle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Hi all,
I bought a new iMac 27" 2017 top spec, I love it! Migrating over from Windows. What a revelation, took me a couple of weeks to get used to it.

My issue is that I need to log in to my Windows server at Work.

VMWare Fusion 8.5.8,
Trialled this for free for a month with Windows 10 64 bit, which was handily available for free within it as well. The VPN connection was set up by the outsourced IT dept, but they can't connect to the actual server. Tried for a week to and fro. They believe Apple has stopped this from functioning, and believe Parallels will be the same result.

Next solution is Bootcamp. However I haven't tried this. Will I need to buy Windows??
Will it work?
What doesn't the VPN work with Windows on Mac via Fusion or Parallels?
(I prefer Fusion as need it to run some other software that is not compatible with Parellels due its graphic capabilities)

I look forward to hearing from you! Otherwise I will have to sell the Mac...

Thanks,
Xstyle

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Hi all,
I bought a new iMac 27" 2017 top spec, I love it! Migrating over from Windows. What a revelation, took me a couple of weeks to get used to it.

My issue is that I need to log in to my Windows server at Work.

VMWare Fusion 8.5.8,
Trialled this for free for a month with Windows 10 64 bit, which was handily available for free within it as well. The VPN connection was set up by the outsourced IT dept, but they can't connect to the actual server. Tried for a week to and fro. They believe Apple has stopped this from functioning, and believe Parallels will be the same result.

Next solution is Bootcamp. However I haven't tried this. Will I need to buy Windows??
Will it work?
What doesn't the VPN work with Windows on Mac via Fusion or Parallels?
(I prefer Fusion as need it to run some other software that is not compatible with Parellels due its graphic capabilities)

I look forward to hearing from you! Otherwise I will have to sell the Mac...

Thanks,
Xstyle

Why won’t the VPN connection work from macOS ? What protocol is it

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I connect fine to various VPNs from within a Fusion VM - did you have your networking setup as bridged or NAT (it's possible that NAT could cause issues)
As @Sickboy says above, it would be helpful to know what VPN is being used

kschendel

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2014
What exactly are you trying to do remotely? On those rare and unfortunate instances when I've had to connect to a Windows machine remotely, I've used Microsoft Remote Desktop. If the target is behind a VPN, you can either use the native VPN support in MacOS, or if that doesn't work, I've had excellent results with Shimo (shimovpn.com) for connecting to all sorts of weird VPN servers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.