Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
is any of them better at folding than the other?

just curious. also, has anyone tried maybe running a few virtual machines that fold instead of just folding on the regular machine?

thoughts?

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
X is the best... hey it's a Mac forum :)

is any of them better at folding than the other?

just curious. also, has anyone tried maybe running a few virtual machines that fold instead of just folding on the regular machine?

thoughts?

the linux and os x SMP clients are about the same as both are 64 bit, and both tend to produce more points per day than the windows SMP client. something about 64bit vs. 32bit and the way the windows software was ported. i remember seeing an OS-by-wu comparison chart showing linux up by several percent over windows, but can't seem to find it now. from the Stanford faq;
Stanford said:
we currently only support the console client for three platforms: Mac OSX/Intel, 64-bit Linux, and Windows. We are working on a 32-bit Linux client, but do not have an ETA at this time. The Windows port has recently been released to beta and uses a separate code base from the OSX and Linux versions.

on the VM question, i have seen clients run as virtual machines in a production environment due to the setup/security/config not being available to change (you can run your vm, but don't touch my machine...). not very effective, but on a lightly loaded production server, better than nothing/idle. forum link for support/backup HERE. due to the nature of VMs, the more you run, the fewer system resources are available, and the higher the overhead, when ends up making everything run slower. fine for data centers and consolidating hardware, not great for number crunching when every cycle counts. just my 1.5 cents.

congrats on all the work, you are really flying!:):)

willyhunt

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2004
Exeter, UK
After reading wikipedia the other day i think that the windows out of the three is the best, especially now that they have added GPU support.

Although I was led to believe that the PS3 was the better folder.

Dont quote me on this, I read it a few days ago but I think that was the jist.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
thanks for the reply. i'll stick to OS X.

and i'll stay away from VMs. never know til you ask ;)

and thanks, i'm trying. a long way to go though

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
i do alot of SETI and einstein folding on both my imac (100% cpu) and mbp (about 30%, cauz of heat) and i find it to be really consistent with other users results.

i really couldnt be bothered to try using my pc, 1. because its a piece of crap, and two its not that stable.

as for VM's if you were running the folding at 100% it would probably equal 50-70% of the actual computer speed from personal experience.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
i do alot of SETI and einstein folding on both my imac (100% cpu) and mbp (about 30%, cauz of heat) and i find it to be really consistent with other users results.

i really couldnt be bothered to try using my pc, 1. because its a piece of crap, and two its not that stable.

as for VM's if you were running the folding at 100% it would probably equal 50-70% of the actual computer speed from personal experience.

can you set folding to a certain percentage, like 30% or whatever? i want to use my mbp, but i don't want the fans going crazy 24/7

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
can you set folding to a certain percentage, like 30% or whatever? i want to use my mbp, but i don't want the fans going crazy 24/7

oh yea u can set it to whatever you want. but if you have a dual-core, it will run 2 projects at 30%... or if u have a quad it will run 4 projects at 30% etcetc. (because every core can run 1 project only at a time)

p.s. sorry for the *ahem* late reply...

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
oh yea u can set it to whatever you want. but if you have a dual-core, it will run 2 projects at 30%... or if u have a quad it will run 4 projects at 30% etcetc. (because every core can run 1 project only at a time)

p.s. sorry for the *ahem* late reply...

thanks. i guess you can't do this with the SMP installer though. which would i use to do this? the SMP terminal one?

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
somewhere in kansas
thanks. i guess you can't do this with the SMP installer though. which would i use to do this? the SMP terminal one?

I run the SMP on my MBP and it runs very quiet, but I have it on an elevated stand so that may help. Running the PPC version on my old PPC MB however made it take off. I really like the SMP on the intel's compared to the old PPC versions. Now that I have a couple intel macs I have started folding again under "jbgeorge".

Just curious, does anyone know what sort of points per day or week the PS3 can do?

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I run the SMP on my MBP and it runs very quiet, but I have it on an elevated stand so that may help. Running the PPC version on my old PPC MB however made it take off. I really like the SMP on the intel's compared to the old PPC versions. Now that I have a couple intel macs I have started folding again under "jbgeorge".

Just curious, does anyone know what sort of points per day or week the PS3 can do?

oh ok. well i run the SMP installer on my mbp and it sounds like a jet. it's not elevated though, but still.

as for the PS3, mine generates 250 points every 6 hours or so (i think). so that's around 1000 every 24 hours maybe.

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
somewhere in kansas
oh ok. well i run the SMP installer on my mbp and it sounds like a jet. it's not elevated though, but still.

as for the PS3, mine generates 250 points every 6 hours or so (i think). so that's around 1000 every 24 hours maybe.

I wouldn't risk your mbp if it sounds like that, 1000 points per day is pretty good.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I wouldn't risk your mbp if it sounds like that, 1000 points per day is pretty good.

well i can still do stuff on it when i need to. i have other computers to use, so i don't really use the mbp right now anyways.

yeah 1000 is alright. but lately i've been over 3000 per day. i have my mac pro going also

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.