Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AL1630

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
I got a 2009 i7 iMac cheap from a friend that was upgrading, and I formatted the hard drive. When I went to install Snow Leopard from a CD, It would get part way through, then the install would fail. I've used this disc recently in other macs, and it works fine. I tried to install windows 7 from a CD just for kicks, and it works perfectly. Anyone know what the problem might be?

AL1630

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
Right before attempting to install OS X I formatted it as OS X Extended (Journaled), and Windows is NTFS.

nambuccaheadsau

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2007
Blue Mountains NSW Australia
Tell us about the CD. Is it a genuine or a hemm hemm 'copy'?

If it is the 27" model it requires a minimum OS X.6.1 system disc or a retail install DVD. Version X.6 would not work. Also if you used BootCamp should have put OS X on first, and if you allowed the Windows install to format the drive NTFS without creating partitions, OS X will not install on NTFS.

Suggest the cart is in front of the horse maybe?

AL1630

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
It's the genuine 10.6.3 retail disk. I tried OS X first, and when that didn't work I decided to try Windows just to see if I could get a usable computer.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Try creating a bootable USB flash drive with the Mountain Lion (10.8) installer (assuming you can find it). El Capitan might also work.

Then,
- boot from the flashdrive
- NUKE THE DRIVE BACK TO ZERO (Mac OS extended with journaling enabled)
- Try a Mac OS install "from there"...

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
If it is a 27", it support High Sierra and you might as well install that right away and be on a supported OS. (typing this on 2009 27" running High Sierra)

AL1630

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
Ok, I tried an El Capitan USB and it worked. Not sure why the CD didn't though, it worked fine on a different computer last week. I'll try the High Sierra Upgrade and see if it works.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

If you have El Capitan running ok, I'd advise against an attempted High Sierra install.

Leave well enough alone!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"El Capitan is unsupported"

This is NONSENSE.
El Cap is still receiving security updates, if that matters to you.

Frankly, it DOESN'T "matter" to me. I use whatever OS I wish, and don't give a hoot about "security". Not something I worry about.

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
"El Capitan is unsupported"

This is NONSENSE.
El Cap is still receiving security updates, if that matters to you.

Frankly, it DOESN'T "matter" to me. I use whatever OS I wish, and don't give a hoot about "security". Not something I worry about.
Ok. Half a year more if security updates, if apple support two previous versions. It's ok not to be first mover, of you worry about stability (I do), but then go with Sierra. I really see no point in El Capitan at this point with a clean install. But then again, after more than a half year old fixes, I would not call High Sierra a first mover installation either. I myself waited till early January before upgrading from Sierra.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.