Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I worked on and with OS/2 during my career with IBM. The greatest impediment (IMO) to OS/2's success was IBM's insistence early on in placing an emphasis on supporting IBM's microchannel architecture of their PS/2 line of computers. We lost a lot of time and ground on that. A close second was the focus on Token Ring networking rather than Ethernet.

As I prepare to seriously downsize my tech when I retire, I'm exchanging vintage hardware running these older operating systems with a single system with the muscle to run them in a VM.

Which doesn't require all that much muscle... a $100 Black Friday laptop has enough oomph to run OS/2, Win 7, XP, etc.

..dang, I'm old.

gbynum

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2019
Greenville SC
While it doesn't run on M* silicon, I use VirtualBox to run XP on my Windows 10 system for some old technical apps that were not updated to later versions. My son does development work, and uses it on a Mac Pro and MacBook Pro to run multiple OSs for application testing. (INTEL silicon)

I don't give any guest OSs on my VirtualBox access to the internet. They do have access to shared directories to allow my downloads to useful.

Reactions: sracer

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Why would it be risky if you disconnect it from the Internet anyway?
...because some viruses are airborne.
rimshot.gif

• Haha
Reactions: MajorFubar

Heindijs

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2021
2917417E-67C0-4DC9-8271-6A092BB9DF3F.png

gotta be honest, after clicking on that website I just laughed out loud. I was surprised to learn that it’s ‘the operating system Microsoft’

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I worked on and with OS/2 during my career with IBM. The greatest impediment (IMO) to OS/2's success was IBM's insistence early on in placing an emphasis on supporting IBM's microchannel architecture of their PS/2 line of computers. We lost a lot of time and ground on that. A close second was the focus on Token Ring networking rather than Ethernet.

As I prepare to seriously downsize my tech when I retire, I'm exchanging vintage hardware running these older operating systems with a single system with the muscle to run them in a VM.

Which doesn't require all that much muscle... a $100 Black Friday laptop has enough oomph to run OS/2, Win 7, XP, etc.

..dang, I'm old.
Wait, I have my os/2 install cds. Wonder if I could get it running in a VM?

Reactions: sracer

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Wait, I have my os/2 install cds. Wonder if I could get it running in a VM?
You should be able to. I installed OS/2 Warp from my install CDs....

Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 5.53.17 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 5.54.34 AM.png

I've even got Mac OS High Sierra running in a VM on my Lenovo Yoga 6. Although Pixelmator won't run (no access to the GPU), iWork functions as expected... this allows me to continue to have access to the ton of Pages, Numbers, and Keynote files. (yeah, yeah, the web versions work well, but printing Pages files from the web never work as expected)

Reactions: I7guy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.