Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sgd88

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2006
Hi,

I formatted the C drive as FAT. Then I got to the windows installer. The thing thing with all the tips about Windows XP and has an estimate of how long there is to go.

It was stuck on 39 mins throughout. And then eventually (maybe 30 mins in) I get an error 80096001. It says that the "setup failed to install product catalogs".

I am using the OEM version of Windows XP Home edition.

Any ideas re: what to do?

Many thanks.

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
Is it SP 2?

Officially, you aren't supposed to use OEM editions, although if it has SP 2 on it, it shouldn't make a difference. If it is a legal version of home with SP 2, you could always call MS and they will ship you another disk and code.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
sgd88 said:
Hi,

I formatted the C drive as FAT. Then I got to the windows installer. The thing thing with all the tips about Windows XP and has an estimate of how long there is to go.

It was stuck on 39 mins throughout. And then eventually (maybe 30 mins in) I get an error 80096001. It says that the "setup failed to install product catalogs".

I am using the OEM version of Windows XP Home edition.

Any ideas re: what to do?

Many thanks.
the idea: you shouldn't be using OEM...

where did you get the OEM from, is it at least SP2?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
There is no problem in using a plaing generic unused OEM install disc. However if this is an OEM install disc that was made for different hardware you could be in trouble.

A quick google search suggests that you may wish to remove any external USB devices. The external USB mouse in particular seems to cause some issues on some Mac notebooks during the install...

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_21473048.html

B

sgd88

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2006
I bought the OEM version with an external hard drive for the computer. I was under the impression that the disc is identical however "ethical"/"legal" it might be.

I don't think that this the problem.

I didn't have any USB devices attached at all. I will try it again.

It is SP2. When you say it could be made for different hardware how could I tell that? It is a generic disk as far as I know that I bought.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
sgd88 said:
It is SP2. When you say it could be made for different hardware how could I tell that? It is a generic disk as far as I know that I bought.
Some people have tried to use the install/recovery CD that came with a Dell or Sony or other computer, and this in general will not work, since the disc is customized for its intended hardware.

Plus the fact that you do not get transfer rights according to most OEM EULAs....

The only practical difference between retail and OEM install discs is that you can't upgrade an existing install with an OEM disc, only a clean install.

Which Mac are you installing on?

B

sgd88

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2006
It is the 2.0 GHz white MacBook.

I restarted the installation and went to watch a film. Came back and it had got past the error stage!! The rest was slow... but it is now fully installed and working.

Thank you everyone for all of your responses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.