Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jays94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
Hello,

Since upgrading to Yosemite one thing i'm noticing is the longer I leave my mac before restarting the more ram it is using.

After a day or two of it being on the available ram is around 17mb-26mb (with just mail, finder and safari open).

I've not noticed it feeling that slow, but have noticed about of UI lag.

The main culprit it looks like is WindowServer. When first starting the computer it uses a normal usage, after a day it was around 6gb and now it is up to 8.9gb used memory.

bhaff4.png

Thanks.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
WindowServer is using a larger amount than I would think it should. What machine are you using?

jays94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
Macbook Pro (Retina) Late 2012 - 8GB RAM + SSD

It keeps increasing. I've noticed it several times over a few days the longer i leave the mac on. I get more and more UI Lag and i've read about another person with a similar problem.

I have had it freeze a few times and I think its because of this and if i leave this computer on for another day or two I could definitely see it freezing (will see what happens)

Up to around 9.41GB now.

Thanks!

Last edited:

jays94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
Just to update.

My macbook is feeling very sluggish now, lots and lots of UI lag and the WindowServer has gone up to about 13GB of usage.

dq6qg7.png

Memory pressure is a lot higher and orange/amber now too.

mickeydean

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2011
Just to update.

My macbook is feeling very sluggish now, lots and lots of UI lag and the WindowServer has gone up to about 13GB of usage.

Memory pressure is a lot higher and orange/amber now too.

I am having the same issue on my late 2013 15" 2.6Ghz/1TB/16GB/750M.

I tried 1. permissions fix in safe mode 2. SMC reset 3. PRAM reset. but it hasn't solved it.

ChrisDB

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2014
Bucharest Romania
I'm having the same problem on Retina macbook pro late 2012 13inch 8 gb of ram and ssd .

UI is very laggy , switched to Mavericks , problem solved but still very laggy , i think is because of the retina screen .

jays94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
It's ridiculous, just hope it is a bug and that they will fix it.

So irritating to have to restart every day.

Nearly 15GB's now..

Make that nearly 17GB's..

Last edited:

jays94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2014

Thanks! I've seen this, but shortly after upgrading to Yosemite I did a PRAM and SMC reset (about a month ago) so Im not sure if this would help.

I suppose it couldn't hurt?

Done! I'll see what happens now, really not expecting much though..

What would be helpful would be to know what a macbook pro retina window server memory usage normally is after a day or two.

Last edited:

jays94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
After fixing permissions, resetting PRAM & SMC nothing has changed at all.

After 1 and 1/2 days of being on the WindowServer went from using around 150-200mb to shooting up to 3.81GB and this will continue to rise now until the machine slows right up in a day or two.

Really not sure they are going to fix this issue.

Memory Pressure (After 2 days) with just core apps running..

2eb8lqs.png

Last edited:

evanavevan

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Just another data point, but I'm having this on a 2015 27" iMac 5K running at a scaled resolution. I have plenty of memory (32GB) so it's not causing any major slowdowns, but still annoying. Hopefully Apple fixes soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.