Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

herbherbherbert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2019
Cornwall
So I recently found out about Winebottler and thought I'd try using it, though soon realised that there was no windows 10 option to convert .exe into .app.

I've had a quick Google and noticed that everybody else seems to have it.

Does anyone know of a way to get this?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
You can't "convert" a Windows app to a macOS app. The best you can do is run the application via emulation.

For an individual program, you can use Crossover (this uses Wineskin but is much more user friendly): https://www.codeweavers.com/products/crossover-mac

If you're running multiple Windows applications, a better option would be to use Parallels Desktop or VMWare to install Windows as a virtual machine and install the applications to that.

herbherbherbert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2019
Cornwall
You can't "convert" a Windows app to a macOS app. The best you can do is run the application via emulation.

For an individual program, you can use Crossover (this uses Wineskin but is much more user friendly): https://www.codeweavers.com/products/crossover-mac

If you're running multiple Windows applications, a better option would be to use Parallels Desktop or VMWare to install Windows as a virtual machine and install the applications to that.
I've double booted and that is quite inconvenient as I have to restart constantly and it's a massive pain with the magic mouse.

I've also tried using a VM and it's painfully slow.

Crossover looks good but seems to cost a lot :/

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I've double booted and that is quite inconvenient as I have to restart constantly and it's a massive pain with the magic mouse.

You can assign more resources to the VM. As long as you've got an SSD and 4GB RAM assigned to it, plus at least 2 cores, it should be running fine.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"

What Mac are you using?
And what applications/programs are you running?

I have a 2013 MBP running multiple VMs just fine with no performance issues

Now if you are wanting to game... you are out of luck with any of these solutions

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I've got a hackintoshed HP Elitebook 2570p with 8GB of DDR3 RAM and a
2.89 GHz Intel Core i7

Which application are you using to run Windows virtually? What specs have you dedicated to it? The default on a VM is like 1GB which is probably causing the problem. Also do you have an SSD?

herbherbherbert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2019
Cornwall
Which application are you using to run Windows virtually? What specs have you dedicated to it? The default on a VM is like 1GB which is probably causing the problem. Also do you have an SSD?
I'm using Oracle VirtualBox with 6GB of RAM allocated and 1 of my 2 CPU cores. I'm also running it off an SSD

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Nevermind, it's out of four, not much of a hardware man to be honest haha

So does it work better when you have more cores assigned? Again if you're running from an SSD and you've got 6GB RAM, it shouldn't be laggy unless you don't have that much CPU chucked at it.

Can you also confirm which version of Windows you're running virtually?

herbherbherbert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2019
Cornwall
So does it work better when you have more cores assigned? Again if you're running from an SSD and you've got 6GB RAM, it shouldn't be laggy unless you don't have that much CPU chucked at it.

Can you also confirm which version of Windows you're running virtually?
Running Windows 10 virtually and just trying it out with more cores

Edit: It still seems to be unable to open an application with 2 cores and VMbox reccomends that you don't go over half the total number of CPU cores

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.