Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipaqowner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Hi All, first post here and hope someone can help.
Got a new Macbook Pro last week and I'm new to macs, anyway decided to download and install the bootcamp software and bought a new MS WinXP Home edition and decided to try installing tonight....everything seemed to go okay and after the installation it booted into Win and after selecting the regional settings for UK English etc it rebooted and just as it's starting it's asking me for a password and to click my username but I hadn't set a password...I'm getting the following error message.
"The system cannot log you on due to the following error...
"The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted"

I cannot get past this message so I can install the mac software drivers CD burned at the start of the bootcamp installation and I'm at the tearing my hair out stage having been at it for the last 3-4 hours!
I have the latest mac software and bootcamp edition...does anyone have any suggestions or know where I've gone wrong please?
Thanks, John.

ipaqowner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
ipaqowner said:
Hi All, first post here and hope someone can help.
Got a new Macbook Pro last week and I'm new to macs, anyway decided to download and install the bootcamp software and bought a new MS WinXP Home edition and decided to try installing tonight....everything seemed to go okay and after the installation it booted into Win and after selecting the regional settings for UK English etc it rebooted and just as it's starting it's asking me for a password and to click my username but I hadn't set a password...I'm getting the following error message.
"The system cannot log you on due to the following error...
"The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted"

I cannot get past this message so I can install the mac software drivers CD burned at the start of the bootcamp installation and I'm at the tearing my hair out stage having been at it for the last 3-4 hours!
I have the latest mac software and bootcamp edition...does anyone have any suggestions or know where I've gone wrong please?
Thanks, John.

Got this fixed by uninstalling XP, deleting the partition and then using bootcamp and then starting over again.
At one point during the first installation it hung and I had to remove the battery to restart so I presume some files had got corrupted or were not copied.
It's been working fine since re-installation and I feel I have the best of both worlds.

demenas

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2006
Los Angeles, CA, USA
ipaqowner said:
Got this fixed by uninstalling XP, deleting the partition and then using bootcamp and then starting over again.

You could just have booted from the XP setup CD and deleted the partition and install that way. No need to remove XP or re-create a partition.

Steve

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.