Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

APKLUB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2022
Mumbai (Indian)
I bought an external SSD which is not working fine with my new Macbook Air running under Monterey. I wanted to erase the disk securely before sending it back but I just noticed that it's not possible to choose the security option during the erase process. I also can't find the option "wipe free space". Is it safe to normally erase the disk and send it back? I tried to encrypt the disk, erase it. re-rencrypt it... But the disk is not working fine and I am not sure if the encryption is working.

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
Which SSD do you have? Which version of Monterey? Often the manufacturer provides tools and/or a trouble shooting guide like e.g. Samsung does for its SSDs here.

APKLUB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2022
Mumbai (Indian)
@Slartibart I found out that when using another USB-C cable to plug the SSD (I used the cable sent with the macBook for Charging) the security level option appears when I try to erase the SSD. It took me more than 10 hours to erase the SSD and now the image recovery software does not find anything on the SSD.

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
@Slartibart I found out that when using another USB-C cable to plug the SSD (I used the cable sent with the macBook for Charging) the security level option appears when I try to erase the SSD. It took me more than 10 hours to erase the SSD and now the image recovery software does not find anything on the SSD.
Well, you succeeded. ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.