Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ralph Nader

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2024
I have no idea if this iPad is running iOS 15, the iPad itself is a 2nd generation 12.9. Anyway, the iPad is locked with a passcode and I cannot get the device to show up in itunes. So, I go into recovery mode to do a restore of the device. iTunes will see it at that point, and I did select to restore the device and wipe out all the info. I did see in iTunes that the device was being restored, progress bar was moving however after the restore process the device rebooted, but its like it did not do anything. Because the device is still at the passcode screen asking for the passcode it still will not show up in iTunes. Any idea what is going on?

I asked for the passcode from the user before she left but she said she could not remember the code. Is there anyway to wipe out the previous install so we can give it to another user?

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Has the user tied the device to her iCloud account its not much you can do.
See if you can boot the device in DFU mode an wipe it that way (google how to do it).

It sounds like its a company device, is it a DEP device where its registered in ABM and you use MDM tools co control your devices? If so then you can prob wipe it using your MDM software/service

Reactions: Ralph Nader

Ralph Nader

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2024
Yea this one is not enrolled in MDM or Apple Manager. I guess the person who did IT before I came here did not enroll it. I have reached out to her and asked her about it, but she was not that helpful. We ran it through DFU mode got an activation lock Its an older device 2nd generation so I will probably shred it, since we just got in a whole batch of 9th gen. Thanks for the help thou.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Yea this one is not enrolled in MDM or Apple Manager. I guess the person who did IT before I came here did not enroll it. I have reached out to her and asked her about it, but she was not that helpful. We ran it through DFU mode got an activation lock Its an older device 2nd generation so I will probably shred it, since we just got in a whole batch of 9th gen. Thanks for the help thou.
No worries. One last resort is to reach out to her again (offer a bottle of Baileys and a box of chocolates;-) ) and just tell her to delete the device from her Icloud account.
Most people use their personal iCloud on company devices and if they are using an iPhone they have it listed there.
Another one is to get evidence of purchase and just send it to Apple and they will most likely release the device.

Good luck :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.