Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
I have a 27-inch 5k iMac running 10.11.6

I want to completely wipe the Mac and upgrade to the latest version of Mac OS. How do I do this?

Thanks.

theapplehead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2018
North Carolina
I have a 27-inch 5k iMac running 10.11.6

I want to completely wipe the Mac and upgrade to the latest version of Mac OS. How do I do this?

Thanks.
This should be all you need right here:

Reactions: kat.hayes

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
This should be all you need right here:
Unless I misunderstood the OP, she wants to wipe the drive that has El Capitan, and install Catalina. If I have that accurate, she can’t do that using the recovery method you linked to. She can update to Catalina, which will upgrade the recovery partition to Catalina, and then wipe the drive and restore the recovery partition, which will put a fresh copy of the OS on her recently wiped drive. She can also create a USB installer for Catalina, wipe the drive, and then install from the USB installer.

*Provided her iMac can update to Catalina.

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Yes, I want to wipe the drive and update to the latest OS available for the Mac. It is a 5K late 2014 4 GHz Intel Core i7

For clarification:
- I need to run the Mac OS update to get to Catalina
- I can then wipe the drive
- I can then reload the latest version of the OS?
Thank you

theapplehead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2018
North Carolina
Well she could also just go straight to recovery, wipe the drive, then install the latest OS (Catalina) could she not? She doesn’t necessarily need to go the route of usb installer does she?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Well she could also just go straight to recovery, wipe the drive, then install the latest OS (Catalina) could she not? She doesn’t necessarily need to go the route of usb installer does she?
You are right. She doesn’t need to go the USB route. She can’t reinstall Catalina via the recovery method, if she has never installed it. Her current recovery partition is El Capitan. If she tries recovery now, it will reinstall El Captain, according to Apple.

[automerge]1595470664[/automerge]
Yes, I want to wipe the drive and update to the latest OS available for the Mac. It is a 5K late 2014 4 GHz Intel Core i7

For clarification:
- I need to run the Mac OS update to get to Catalina
- I can then wipe the drive
- I can then reload the latest version of the OS?
Thank you
Yes, that should work.

Make sure you have everything you want saved backed up first.

Reactions: theapplehead

theapplehead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2018
North Carolina
You are right. She doesn’t need to go the USB route. She can’t reinstall Catalina via the recovery method, if she has never installed it. Her current recovery partition is El Capitan. If she tries recovery now, it will reinstall El Captain, according to Apple.
Could she not install Catalina straight from recovery even if she held Option-⌘-R instead of Command-R at startup? I’ve never gone from El Cap to Catalina but I once went from El Cap to Mojave and I was able to hold Option-⌘-R at startup and subsequently erase my drive and update to Mojave.

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
I have everything backed up, and I am ready to do this. I remember doing this on a different Mac years ago and I made some mistake and had to reload the OS from iCloud, and there was some other complication that made it take a LONG time and I had to go through several steps (I do not remember what the issues were).

I want to do this as simply as possible, and I do not need to use the Mac for a couple of days after starting the process, so if it does take a long time that is fine.

1. What do I need to press when rebooting to get to the screen to reformat and reinstall? I think I made the wrong choice last time.
2. Do I need the iCloud account that was used to setup the Mac initially to redownload and reinstall the OSl? I want to use a new iCloud account on the Mac for my daughter; this is going to be a school computer.

Thanks!!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.