Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ledzep1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2016
I just noticed the other day that Safari keeps disabling Wipr under safari extensions, I have only just noticed this happening on latest Catalina update but it may have occurred on previous version as well.

Anyone else getting this issue?

ledzep1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2016
I'm not seeing that here on 10.1.5.3, so it is not a universal problem. Maybe reach out to the dev?

Have done, gave me a few things to try. Maybe its not a bug, but perhaps when I updated to Catalina it messed something up, so I will try a few basic steps such as uninstall/reinstall.

Cheers

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
Probably a corrupted preferences file that can't be overwritten. But I don't know in which file those settings are stored.

Reactions: ledzep1

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Have done, gave me a few things to try. Maybe its not a bug, but perhaps when I updated to Catalina it messed something up, so I will try a few basic steps such as uninstall/reinstall.

Cheers
You might try making a new temp/test account and see if it works properly in that account. If it does, that tells you it is something in your existing account, like the bad plist pref file mentioned.

ledzep1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2016
You might try making a new temp/test account and see if it works properly in that account. If it does, that tells you it is something in your existing account, like the bad plist pref file mentioned.

I have another user on the mac that doesn't seem to have issues with wipr so it may be like you suggested, no idea how to I go about fixing it if it is a bad plist pref?

ledzep1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2016
I think I found the place in finder for the plist files but can't see anything that mentions Wipr.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Looks like it is in this folder in the users ~/Library folder. Run the command below in Terminal to delete it then reboot then restart Wipr.

Code:
rm -rf ~/Library/Containers/com.giorgiocalderolla.Wipr-Mac/Data/Library/Preferences/com.giorgiocalderolla.Wipr-Mac.plist

ledzep1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2016
Looks like it is in this folder in the users ~/Library folder. Run the command below in Terminal to delete it then reboot then restart Wipr.

Code:
rm -rf ~/Library/Containers/com.giorgiocalderolla.Wipr-Mac/Data/Library/Preferences/com.giorgiocalderolla.Wipr-Mac.plist

Thanks, will give that a go, just to confirm deleteing the above will only delete stuff associated to wipr.

ledzep1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2016
Correct... it will just reset the Wiprs preferences back to default.

How do I delete it please?

I open terminal and just paste the above in, or do I need to do something else to actually delete it.

Thanks

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I open terminal and just paste the above in, or do I need to do something else to actually delete it.
Copy and paste that line I have you into Terminal and hit the return key. That will delete the pref file. Then restart your Mac then launch Wipr.

ledzep1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2016
Copy and paste that line I have you into Terminal and hit the return key. That will delete the pref file. Then restart your Mac then launch Wipr.

Cool thanks, I did do that but wasn't sure if it had done anything, seems fine since I have done this.

Cheers

Reactions: Weaselboy

DianaofThemiscyra

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2022
Europe
Sorry for bringing back this old thread. I'm having the same problem with Catalina and Wipr and unfortunately I couldn't solve the issue with the command line above. I have copied and paste on my terminal window but after the return it says there is no rm-rf.... command.

I am not an expert using terminal. Can anyone help me?

Also, I have tried installing 2 other different adblockers and again I am not able to enable either of them.

[SOLVED] While I solved the problem with Wipr deleting the user and recreating it after (It's an old macbook I have as a backup computer and it's pretty much empty since I have my backed up data on NAS and external disks), another extension had the same problem, but since it is nothing important I'll just keep going without the problematic extension.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.