Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Sounds like a lot of those issues are a function of the camera itself and not HSV. My old outdated Logitech Circle 2’s work great. Capture all motion and fast. So fast and reliable that I use the integrated motion and light sensor for automations.

With regards to the two-way audio and Eufy cams, that’s Eufy choosing not to implement the proper hardware to allow it. I bought several of them when they were still on preorder for a ridiculously low price (think it was like 19.99 US) but sold them promptly afterwards, before unboxing them when I learned that two-way audio wasn’t available in HomeKit. I will not buy a Eufy camera because of this and I can’t believe they haven’t updated their hardware since. Two-way audio is a feature I use a lot in my home. It’s doubles as an intercom. They say they tested just about every camera but seem focused on the Eufy in the article.

The writer is upset you can’t view HSV cameras on a Google or Amazon display? C’mon lol. That may change with Matter but this is just petty. It’s HomeKit and it’s supposed to be the most secure which is why they block of Amazon and Google. Get an iPad and mount it if you want a HomeKit smart display. Not that difficult.

The complaint about a needing hub is also ridiculous. It’s how we get local processing of recordings lol

I’d like to know the network setup used by the writer of this article. That makes a huge difference.

I am not an Apple apologist. There are many frustrating flaws with HomeKit and I’ve been vocal about them but I don’t agree with this article. It seems way too narrow in its reporting, with regards to the hardware they used. I’d like them to do the same tests and report on Logitech (which admittedly are very finicky with Wi-Fi. Need a very good connection) and the Eve cam. Better quality cameras that plug into the mains power.

Reactions: dotme
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.