Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dizmonk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 26, 2010
I scanned the forums and couldn't find an answer to what I needed. I just bought a 2022 Toyota with Apple Car Play. There's only one USB slot in the front for the wired connection. (I don't need the wireless nor does it have it.) What I do need to be able to do is charge two iPhones by connecting them to the wired Apple car play connection. Is there a simple adapter that would do it? And which one?

If there is, I assume if there are two phones connected, one for CarPlay and the other connected, just to charge, that CarPlay will still function and it will have no impact on my warranty. Is that right? Thanks.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
you can only have one CarPlay phone at a time. The other will just be charging.

get a cigarette lighter to USB adapter to charge the non-carplay phone. Or very likely your car has additional charge usb ports, maybe in the back seat, you could get a 2 meter cord, and it should reach the front just fine.

Reactions: chabig

pup

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
One usb port, jeesh.

I bought my first American vehicle a few years ago and while there’s much to dislike, I do enjoy having eight friggin usb ports within reach of the drivers seat.

And 5 cup holders, lol. 😂

dizmonk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 26, 2010
you can only have one CarPlay phone at a time. The other will just be charging.

get a cigarette lighter to USB adapter to charge the non-carplay phone. Or very likely your car has additional charge usb ports, maybe in the back seat, you could get a 2 meter cord, and it should reach the front just fine.
That's what I need but the cigarette lighter/USB adapter won't work. It's located in the wrong spot. I'm wondering, will this kind of adapter allow one phone to charge and the other to be on CarPlay? I can only find one on Amazon...

Attachments

• 51Xg-menxOL._SL1000_.jpg
    51Xg-menxOL._SL1000_.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 45

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I’m now very curious on the layout of your car’s cigarette lighter port and data and charging ports. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a car in recent times without at least one USB port and one cigarette lighter port in the center stack/console somewhere.

dizmonk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 26, 2010
I’m now very curious on the layout of your car’s cigarette lighter port and data and charging ports. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a car in recent times without at least one USB port and one cigarette lighter port in the center stack/console somewhere.
It's a Toyota Corolla LE. The USB port is in the front where it should be but the cigarette lighter/other USB port is in the center console/armrest in the middle. It's stupid. No one charges their car from the center console armrest unless it was a very large one (which this one is not).

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
It's a Toyota Corolla LE. The USB port is in the front where it should be but the cigarette lighter/other USB port is in the center console/armrest in the middle. It's stupid. No one charges their car from the center console armrest unless it was a very large one (which this one is not).
There’s usually a pass through channel to allow cables to enter/exit the center armrest console.

Since CarPlay requires a data transfer, I’m not sure how that’s gonna work by splitting that data cable.

Reactions: dizmonk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.