Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Hi guys, I have a wired keyboard on my Mac Pro running El Capitan. But I randomly get the following message and my keyboard doesn't work. I DON't have a blue tooth keyboard!!

"Blue Tooth Keyboard Setup. There isn't a keyboard connected..... "

I've tried the trick of using a USB extension cable, which worked for a few months, but now this also doesn't work. Even if I plug the keyboard straight into the Mac Pro tower, rather than to the monitor, it still doesn't work.

Any suggestions please? I've tried resetting the SMC / PRAM but no luck.

LuisN

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2013
Torres Vedras, Portugal
Try with another keyboard. If it works, problem solved if not connect to each of the USB ports front and rear. If the problem still remains check the USB ports with other devices, i.e. a mouse, to see if they work. I'm assuming the correct kexts are loaded

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Thanks LuisN. Alas, I don't have another keyboard to try. But I did try my keyboard with a PC and it works fine on it. Its just the mac it doesn't work on. I've also tried all the USB ports - back of monitor and on the tower too.

What are kexts? The keyboard works sometimes. Then sometimes nothing! I have to turn off and on until it works.

LuisN

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2013
Torres Vedras, Portugal
Thanks LuisN. Alas, I don't have another keyboard to try. But I did try my keyboard with a PC and it works fine on it. Its just the mac it doesn't work on. I've also tried all the USB ports - back of monitor and on the tower too.

What are kexts? The keyboard works sometimes. Then sometimes nothing! I have to turn off and on until it works.
kexts are the "drivers" for your Mac devices. It may be some hardware problem with your USB ports or some software that causes some sort of conflict.
If nothing solves your problem I advise you to make a bootable backup of your drive and reinstall El Capitan over your current boot disk, it will replace any "drivers"and system files without causing loss of data. DO BACKUP BEFORE!!!

Reactions: scouser75

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
kexts are the "drivers" for your Mac devices. It may be some hardware problem with your USB ports or some software that causes some sort of conflict.
If nothing solves your problem I advise you to make a bootable backup of your drive and reinstall El Capitan over your current boot disk, it will replace any "drivers"and system files without causing loss of data. DO BACKUP BEFORE!!!
Thanks Luis. Is it not possible to just replace drivers without reinstalling the entire software?

LuisN

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2013
Torres Vedras, Portugal
Thanks Luis. Is it not possible to just replace drivers without reinstalling the entire software?
Yes you can but I don't know what kexts, if any, is doing this.
Installing "over" will only replace macOS, it WON'T replace or ERASE anything else. Your Applications will remain installed and funccional, nevertheless I advise you to make a backup or cloning the disk just in case something goes wrong.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Thanks Luis. I'll carry out a backup and update the software. But first need to find my install disc :rolleyes:

LuisN

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2013
Torres Vedras, Portugal
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.