Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spencecb

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
HI all,

I just got a 2022 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD that has wireless CarPlay (which is super cool). I've noticed that when using the navigation, Siri is very quietly announcing the navigation steps. The music gets softer like it is supposed to, but Siri is almost inaudible. I have made sure that I have the voice turned on, and not switched to mute or the announcements only.

My parents have a 2017 Chevy Colorado with CarPlay (not wireless) that my mom just asked me why it was quiet all of a sudden. They just drove the truck across the country a few weeks ago, because they moved to Arizona. My mom said it wasn't acting like that while she drove it out there.

That leads me to think it is a software bug with the newest version of iOS. Has anyone else been experiencing in other cars, GM or otherwise?

Thanks!

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
HI all,

I just got a 2022 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD that has wireless CarPlay (which is super cool). I've noticed that when using the navigation, Siri is very quietly announcing the navigation steps. The music gets softer like it is supposed to, but Siri is almost inaudible. I have made sure that I have the voice turned on, and not switched to mute or the announcements only.

My parents have a 2017 Chevy Colorado with CarPlay (not wireless) that my mom just asked me why it was quiet all of a sudden. They just drove the truck across the country a few weeks ago, because they moved to Arizona. My mom said it wasn't acting like that while she drove it out there.

That leads me to think it is a software bug with the newest version of iOS. Has anyone else been experiencing in other cars, GM or otherwise?

Thanks!

It may very well be a bug, but you might be able to "fix" it. If you can invoke Siri, adjust the volume WHILE SIRI IS SPEAKING. At least on Ford's SYNC3, turning the volume knob typically adjusts the volume of the audio source... but if you turn the volume know while Siri is speaking, it adjusts the PROMPT volume.

spencecb

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
It may very well be a bug, but you might be able to "fix" it. If you can invoke Siri, adjust the volume WHILE SIRI IS SPEAKING. At least on Ford's SYNC3, turning the volume knob typically adjusts the volume of the audio source... but if you turn the volume know while Siri is speaking, it adjusts the PROMPT volume.
Interesting. I will try this today when I head out for errands in a bit.

There use to be an annoying bug in my Tesla Model 3 that would cause the volume on my to turn all the way up in the car if my phone received any sort of notification and was not on silent. It gave me a lot of heart attack inducing moments.

spencecb

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
Interesting. I will try this today when I head out for errands in a bit.

There use to be an annoying bug in my Tesla Model 3 that would cause the volume on my to turn all the way up in the car if my phone received any sort of notification and was not on silent. It gave me a lot of heart attack inducing moments.
This trick actually worked for me. I waited until Siri was talking, like you said, and turned up the volume. The music stayed at the same level after Siri finished talking, and then I was able to turn the music up, and now I can hear Siri as the volume level stays increased while the music decreases.

I wonder if this is on purpose so you can control the volumes like this, or if it is actually a bug and not intended to work this way...

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
I waited until Siri was talking

I wonder if this is on purpose so you can control the volumes like this, or if it is actually a bug and not intended to work this way...

One small tip for this, If you ask her to "tell me a story" she'll continue to talk quite a while, so you have more than a couple seconds to adjust the volume.

that's the way it's supposed to work, you can also ask her to change her own volume.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.