Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Just got a new car with wireless CarPlay. When connected to the wireless CarPlay, I drop connection from my Home Wi-Fi. Is this normal behavior?

Cellular service in my area is horrendous and with wired CarPlay, I was able to set my navigation from my garage. Now I have to drive away a couple miles before getting a reliable cellular connection to set my navigation.

BeauGiles

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Just got a new car with wireless CarPlay. When connected to the wireless CarPlay, I drop connection from my Home Wi-Fi. Is this normal behavior?

Cellular service in my area is horrendous and with wired CarPlay, I was able to set my navigation from my garage. Now I have to drive away a couple miles before getting a reliable cellular connection to set my navigation.
Yes, it is normal behaviour.

If I remember correctly, Bluetooth is used to kick start the connection and then it is handed over for the rest to happen over WiFi.

Reactions: Itinj24

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
Unfortunately this is going to happen just as BeauGiles pointed out. You disconnect from the CarPlay wifi and you loose the CarPlay connection. The only thing I suggest doing is having gps loaded prior to the connection

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Appreciate the replies. Wish I could just override the wireless connection by plugging in but that doesn’t work either. Bogus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.