Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is wireless CarPlay working well for you?

• C) Meh, it works about half the time

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D) No, it worked a few times, but now it mostly doesn't

• F) Other...see post

• Total voters

zephonic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
greater L.A. area
Considering updating my (non-CarPlay) factory head unit with an aftermarket one, and wonder if it's worth forking out some extra $$$ for wireless CarPlay?

Heard some noise online, so I figure to start a thread with a poll to collect people's experiences. For the aftermarket guys, I would love to hear what unit you purchased and how it is working for you. Thanks for participating!

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
My car has wireless CarPlay built in. Works nearly flawlessly. Can’t say 100% flawless…does anything ever do that?

Wireless CarPlay connects automatically when i start the car and have the option to quickly disconnect it, if i dont want to use it.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I had wireless in my Mazda MX-5 via an Alpine head unit... was almost flawless... my new Ford Ranger does not have wireless CarPlay, and I miss it... wife's Ford Edge has it (SYNC4, with large, vertical touch screen) and it is absolutely a joy to use.

I'm tempted to look into the 3rd party adapters to add wireless to my Ranger, but there are several different makes/models, and most have issues... :confused:

BobRey77

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2021
Wireless transformed a quirky, marginal and unreliable product into a must have. It works so well I don't even think about it when I get into my truck. I start it and CarPlay is there, ready to work. And work it does.

zephonic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
greater L.A. area
OK, so far the feedback seems solid!

I had wireless in my Mazda MX-5 via an Alpine head unit... was almost flawless...

Which model was it?

I'm tempted to look into the 3rd party adapters to add wireless to my Ranger, but there are several different makes/models, and most have issues... :confused:

I assume you looked at this thread? 300 pages of it... o_O

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
I have a Kenwood aftermarket wireless head unit - have had it about 2.5 years and it's been great. When i do run into issues it's always been 3rd party apps - TuneIn will lose connection for a while and not resume. BBC player will do the same.

'Built in apps' i.e. Apple apps I don't think have ever given me problems.

zephonic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
greater L.A. area
After only 11 votes it seems this topic is done, less than I'd expected but thanks all for chiming in!

I'm gonna order an Alpine iLX-507 for my van.

koolzero

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
I am having a big issue suddenly after getting my new 14 pro. I added it to my pioneer 4400nex but when I turn off my car and back on the radio doesn’t remember being connected and I have to remove the car from the phone and readd it. Not sure if it’s pioneer or Apple that is the issue. I updated the firmware of the head unit but it was an old firmware from like 2019.

OldRhodie

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2012
Belfast
I have a 2022 Lexus UX200h that has built in, wired only CarPlay. I bought a CPLAY2air dongle and it‘s worked flawlessly. I’ve taken the advice of one user who commented online that if it works don’t do a firmware update. I’ve not even checked to see if there might be an update. It works. Let sleeping dogs lie.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Finally got to experience wireless CarPlay when renting a 2021 Pacifica on vacation. Surprised at how fast it was to connect and how you'd never know you weren't wired. It was up and running before I had my seat belt fastened. I didn't use it for longer trips so I can't comment on battery drain but it was surprisingly good on that UConnect system.

zephonic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
greater L.A. area
I purchased Pioneer DMH-W2770NEX from Crutchfield, as it was the cheapest ($430) wireless CarPlay unit with a capacitive touch screen. Installed it two weeks ago, it’s mostly worked fine. Not 100%, but mostly fine.

Do think I’d rather have a full-on Android head unit though. CarPlay feels restrictive and outdated.

sjdigital

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2008
The Caucasus
I have an aftermarket Xtrons head unit with wireless CarPlay in my Land Rover and wired CarPlay in our other car. The wireless is brilliant but it’s worth seeing if you can fit a wireless charger for your phone otherwise you end up having to plug it in on a longer journey which kinda defeats having the wireless installation. On the other hand, the wired installation works well when you have two regular drivers using the car - you just plug a phone in and go with no faffing around to change the wireless connection. But either way, CarPlay is a 'must have' to my mind. I don’t think I’d buy a car now that didn’t have it.

Reactions: OldRhodie

gadgetfreak98

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2009
I retrofitted CarPlay to my 2011 BMW X5. As an aside, that was one heckuva a DIY project. Anyway, the retrofit unit has had it’s up and downs (generally ups and even the wife admits it was a huge upgrade) — but the wireless CarPlay itself has been great. Snappy performance and simple to use. I have an official Apple MagSafe puck in a $10 vent mount. Get in the car, pop the phone (14 Pro Max) onto the MagSafe unit and go. It is so seamless.

zephonic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
greater L.A. area
Sorry to revive this zombie thread, but I just want to report back after nearly a year that wireless CarPlay has been grrrreat for me. Not 100%, but 98% of the time it has been flawless. My Pioneer aftermarket unit boots up and connects quickly, usually it’s running before I drive away. Switching between wireless and wired is also seamless.

Honestly, it’s been so good that the factory wired CarPlay in various rentals I have driven this last year are slow and frustrating in comparison. Which makes me wanna ask the forum hive mind:

which car makes/models have Wireless CarPlay standard? I really wouldn’t want to go back to wired-only.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Sorry to revive this zombie thread, but I just want to report back after nearly a year that wireless CarPlay has been grrrreat for me. Not 100%, but 98% of the time it has been flawless. My Pioneer aftermarket unit boots up and connects quickly, usually it’s running before I drive away. Switching between wireless and wired is also seamless.

Honestly, it’s been so good that the factory wired CarPlay in various rentals I have driven this last year are slow and frustrating in comparison. Which makes me wanna ask the forum hive mind:

which car makes/models have Wireless CarPlay standard? I really wouldn’t want to go back to wired-only.

I know that Ford is rolling it out... several models offer wireless CarPlay and more are being added... Currently it's standard on vehicles with SYNC4 (Edge, F-150, Mustang Mach-E and some versions Bronco).

From what I can tell, none of the EV manufacturers offer CarPlay or Android Auto. GM has announced earlier this year that they are abandoning CarPlay... though some reports state that they will just not offer CarPlay in their EV models.

Reactions: zephonic

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London

I recommend writing a shortlist of cars that you would like to purchase. Take them for a test drive and try their CarPlay.

Two months ago I purchased a W211 E-Class. The OEM head unit didn't have bluetooth. I used an FM transmitter for a few weeks until I got depressed about the Audio quality. My previous car was a 2019 BMW with H&K.

With nervousness and hesitation, I purchased and fitted a £170 Android head unit which was a fantastic decision. It fits flush and looks OEM. Most importantly, it has a high-end amp and has wired and wireless CarPlay/AndroidAuto.

Connection speeds are the following:
Wired CarPlay: 3 seconds
Wireless: 25 seconds

Similar to your experience wireless is reliable 95% of the time. However, it's a better hog and therefore I tend to use wired for journeys longer than 20min as the battery capacity on my 13 Mini is precious.

IMG_5396.jpeg

IMG_2567.jpeg

Reactions: zephonic

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020

I wouldn’t buy a new car without CarPlay without it now (and it would have to be wireless). I do not understand manufacturers who are dropping CarPlay.

Had my head unit in my car for over 3 years now and it is fantastic - the car is 21 years old but the head unit makes it feel a lot younger. I only wish I can have fitted a reversing camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.