Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boogiedout

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2014
Hi folks,
I’m wondering if anyone has any experience of using wireless charging on an iPhone 8 with a case on? I use a spigen case with the metal plate in so I can use the magnetic mounts in my car. Will wireless charging work through the case and metal plate?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I’m going to say no. One of the reasons the 8,8+ and X have a glass back is because wireless charging doesn’t work with the aluminum back.

Applenoob34

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2014
I have a regular spigen case on a X and it works fine. I’ve read that the magnetic cases will NOT work with wireless charging though.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Won't work with a metal plate inside. The case will need to be 3mm or less in thickness as well.

This is correct. My Amazon credit card that is thicker than usual with a metallic paint blocks wireless charging. My drivers license however does not.

boogiedout

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2014
Cheers for the replies, think ill just stick with a wire for charging. The ability to throw my phone onto the magnetic holder in either car seems a lot more convenient than wireless charging at night.

orev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2015
Cheers for the replies, think ill just stick with a wire for charging. The ability to throw my phone onto the magnetic holder in either car seems a lot more convenient than wireless charging at night.
I'm in the same boat. It's so nice to just put your phone down and have it start charging, but magnetic mounts are way more convenient than that. I've been looking for a case that allows easy removal of the magnetic plate (like those wallet cases), and is also not huge, but haven't found anything yet.
[doublepost=1521658472][/doublepost]So I just figured out a solution to this problem. You cannot use a case with metal in it, but if you have a plastic case you can arrange the magnetic plates on the phone away from the center, which is where the charging coil is. Affix the magnetic plates to the phone as close to the top/bottom as you can. I put one on each top and bottom so I can adjust where I want the phone while in the car. Then the wireless charging can be placed in the middle and work as expected. Hopefully the plates don't get hot, which I have not had time to test.

P.S. I do not use the permanent adhesive to stick the metal plates -- just some loops of packing tape which are enough to keep them in place after you put the case on top.

teeshot44

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2015
US
As "orev" said. I love the magnetic holder for my car. I also find the best place to put the plate in/behind my case so as not to interfere with the wireless charging which is generally in the center of the phone. I don't even use tape to hold it in place as the pressure of the case on the phone usually does the trick. Closer to the top works best for me, but trial and error with your phone/case/holder combination will usually work out something.

jona2125

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
https://www.iottie.com/Product/Detail/4316/iOttie-iTap-Wireless-Fast-Charging-Magnetic-Car-Mount

I use the mounts for this to get both magnetic mounting and wireless charging ability in one swipe. They have basically a steel ring that adheres to the back of the phone/case and lets you charge wirelessly while using magnetic mounts. I don't specifically use their mount normally, it works well, just is bulky with the charging built in. I have other mounts I use generally. I have PITAKA mounts in my vehicles that works well with the wide spread of the iOttie plates but the downside is the slick surface of it so off-road it tends to lose grip and the phone slide off and lose magnetic grip. Just needs a self-adhering thin sticky pad and it would be perfect.

Sarah-PITAKA

Suspended
Feb 7, 2018
Hong Kong
https://www.iottie.com/Product/Detail/4316/iOttie-iTap-Wireless-Fast-Charging-Magnetic-Car-Mount

I use the mounts for this to get both magnetic mounting and wireless charging ability in one swipe. They have basically a steel ring that adheres to the back of the phone/case and lets you charge wirelessly while using magnetic mounts. I don't specifically use their mount normally, it works well, just is bulky with the charging built in. I have other mounts I use generally. I have PITAKA mounts in my vehicles that works well with the wide spread of the iOttie plates but the downside is the slick surface of it so off-road it tends to lose grip and the phone slide off and lose magnetic grip. Just needs a self-adhering thin sticky pad and it would be perfect.

Hi jona2125,
Member of PITAKA here,

I'm interested in knowing the phone case you're using now. Our mount can go with our case without any metal plate.
Also, the magnets placed in our mount are different from the others out there. So I think it's why it tens to lose grip.

Let me know if you have any questions.

magmunt-vent-magnet_grande.jpg

jona2125

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Hi jona2125,
Member of PITAKA here,

I'm interested in knowing the phone case you're using now. Our mount can go with our case without any metal plate.
Also, the magnets placed in our mount are different from the others out there. So I think it's why it tens to lose grip.

Let me know if you have any questions.

magmunt-vent-magnet_grande.jpg

I use Spigen Tough Armor cases on my phone. The metal "ring" I use is from iOttie for the wireless charging magnet mount system. It's spanned enough that it actually has a good hold most of the time, just that the exposed metal on the woven material on your mount is very slick so it can slide off sometimes. Works wonderfully though I love it.

Sarah-PITAKA

Suspended
Feb 7, 2018
Hong Kong
I use Spigen Tough Armor cases on my phone. The metal "ring" I use is from iOttie for the wireless charging magnet mount system. It's spanned enough that it actually has a good hold most of the time, just that the exposed metal on the woven material on your mount is very slick so it can slide off sometimes. Works wonderfully though I love it.
Some users want to save the hassle of using the sticky metal plate, so we just made our case "magnetic" too.
Such design may lack the universality but can work well.
magcase-for-iPhone-X-metal-plate-inside-grey-twill_grande.jpg

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
Some users want to save the hassle of using the sticky metal plate, so we just made our case "magnetic" too.
Such design may lack the universality but can work well.
magcase-for-iPhone-X-metal-plate-inside-grey-twill_grande.jpg

The problem is a $50 case shouldn't require a $25 holder...That's asinine

Evutwc has magnets built into back and still wirelessly charges as well and is a MUCH more affordable offering.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.