Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
I have Ti PB, Al PB, HP Pavilion ZT1180, Compac Presario 1700T, and Dell X200 all connected to the corded/wireless station Belkin 802.11G (which is connected to the cable modem). My HP (running XP Home), Dell (running XP Professional), and Compac (running XP Professional) keep the internet connection no problem.

But, my Ti and Al PBs are getting disconnected after a few hours of web surfing (both of them have 10.3.7). So, I clean-intalled my Al PB.

It seems that solved this broadband connection (ethernet and airport). Ti is having the connection problem. So, I am doing the clean install for a fresh start.

I am wondering if anyone on the forum has the similar problem with internet connection. My Ti and Al are connecting to internet via Safari (I tried IE and Mozilla but the connection problems are the same as Safari).

I am hoping this clean install (erase and install) will fix this pesky problem. It's ironic my HP (running XP Home) with wireless Belkin 54 G card keeps its connection to the wireless network without a problem, while OS X equipped PBs are having problems.

thecow

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2003
Timonium MD
If you mean that every few hours the connection signal drops to zero and comes back after a few minutes, than yes I have the exact problem as you. I didn't understand what was exactly happening to you from your post, but I guess that you had the same problem as me. Is there any way to fix this without reinstalling the whole OS? I don't really want to do that.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
Internet connection

I think your best bet is to do a clean install. My Ti is using the built in ethernet port and my Al is using the built in apple airport. Both of them lost internet connection one or two hours of internet use. The wirless router still showed them on the router menu accessed from my other notebook computer (HP) (because Ti and Al cannot access internet, I can look at the router manu from them). So, it does not seem a router issue. After re-boot, the connection comes back; but it does the same thing after one or 2 hours of use. I am guessing those incremental patches have caused some havock in the OS.

So far, the freshly installed Ti and Al keeps their internet connection so far. I did notice this problem started showing up after 10.3.7 update.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
A good first step is after repairing permissions (if you haven't done so) is to download and install the 10.3.7 Combo Update. I had trouble on one of my systems after the "Patch" version of an update was installed, so I installed the Combo update and it fixed the issue.

To me, these patch versions that Apple has made available only through software update are a bad idea. I think my system needed the full update (from the previous point version) and not just the mini patch update.

After you download and install the combo update, be sure to run software update to catch any security patches that the update might wipe out. (There may be nothing needed, as I last did this with 10.3.6 so I don't know what 10.3.7 Combo wipes outif anything).

And if this doesn't work, then go do a fresh install.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
Internet connection

I conur with Bear. After a clean install of OS 10.3, I ran the updater and it showed the 10.3.7 combo patch instead of small individual patches. I think Apple now bundled those incremetal patches in this combo patch now.

It may be a good idea to try that combo patch before a clean install. That was a good excuse for me to do a clean install as I was transferring 4.5 GB of iTune files from Ti to External HD to Al and back to External HD (I was not able to decide where I will keep my iTune files, lol) and wanted to defrag the hard drive especially moving such a large files.

By the way, before I resorted to the Erase & Intall, I did run the Disk Utilities' permision repairs, which did not fix that internet connection problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.