Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacKnut

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2020
Looking for a display set-up for my MacMini (2018 build) to do room EQ with a suitable software installed on MacMini. In order to do my measurements with a microphone I need a display to work with the graphs generated. Will Luna Display on my iPad be good enough for this setting? Are there better alternatives for wireless display?

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Could sidecar do it?

I have a 6th generation iPad which should be compatible, but don't have a compatible Mac yet. Hoping to upgrade to a 2018 Mini in the future and this is a feature I am interested in trying out. Don't know what kind of "suitable software" you would be using so this may not help, but Logic Pro has a very nice remote app that I have frequently used on my iPad and 2012 quad Mini.

MacKnut

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2020
In my understanding, sidecar requires a display to begin with (my MacMini is headless). What I want to do is to improve listening from my loudspeakers/subwoofer by measuring given room acoustics and find a filter for better sound.

MacKnut

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2020
That adapter improves screen sharing- pointless for me, as I do not have a suitable laptop. Question remains: is there a wireless display working with iPad and would Luna Display do the job for the task described in the OP?

PianoPro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2018
That adapter improves screen sharing- pointless for me, as I do not have a suitable laptop. Question remains: is there a wireless display working with iPad and would Luna Display do the job for the task described in the OP?
Someone with a Luna Display should be able to answer your question better, but I contacted them when I wanted to do something similar. I wanted to use an iPad with a headless Mac mini, but I wanted to switch back and forth between another iPad app and the Mac mini display on the iPad. They said Luna would not be good for that because it disconnects from the Mac after switching to another iPad app. (I've tried VNC apps and they do the same thing) That's all I got from them, so if you have that issue that was their response. You might try contacting them directly.

MevetS

Cancelled
Dec 27, 2018
I'm sure you've seen this: https://help.astropad.com/article/218-how-do-i-use-luna-display-in-headless-mode

It notes that to set up a Luna Display to use an iPad as the only display still requires a 'real' display be connected to the Mini for the initial set up. After that you are ok just using the iPad as a display.

I have a Luna Display and used it with my old iPad Air. I'm not using it now, as the Air has been retired (battery issues, very sad; a new iPad is in my future). But I was happy with it when I was using it. When I first set up my Mini, I was having issues with the eGPU (since sorted). And I used the 'headless' set up to get my Mini to start up, after which the eGPU would then bring my 'real' displays online.

And I'm not sure you understood the idea behind the adaptors mentioned above. I use an HDMI adaptor in my Mini. Not for screen sharing, but rather to trick the Mini into thinking that there is a display directly connected to the Mini. This is what allows the Mini to boot up and enable the eGPU. In your case it would enable the use of Sidecar, as the Mini would think there is a display attached.

Good luck, and I hope this helps.

Reactions: Boyd01

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
And I'm not sure you understood the idea behind the adaptors mentioned above. I use an HDMI adaptor in my Mini. Not for screen sharing, but rather to trick the Mini into thinking that there is a display directly connected to the Mini.

Yes, this is what I had in mind, it was a response to the OP saying "sidecar requires a display to begin".

Reactions: MevetS
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.