Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geoffdig

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2002
san francisco
my roomate has a linksys wireless hub to connect to dsl on his pc notebook. i have a mac g3 powerbook that i would like to buy a wireless pc card for so i can share his dsl connection while using my mac. i do not need access to his files, drives or peripherals, just dsl connectivity. is this complicated to setup on either my mac or his pc?

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
Is this wireless network 802.11b? If so, I believe Airport will suffice...

I'm not a WiFi guy, so I could be wrong.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
yup

I have that same Router at home. all you need is an airport card or some other 802.11b card. I have a proxim one in an older g3... but i cant get it to work with the encription keys.. you may want to go airport card. Its simple to configure too.

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Yep.

An Airport card will work just fine. There are other cards that cost less but they are PCI cards if I'm not mistaken and therefore don't look as good. Airport intigrates seemlessly with the Mac.

I've got this exact setup at home and I couldn't be happier.

Matthew

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
as long as its a wireless router and not a hub (access point), you will be fine with the airport card.

im not being anal, just making sure you have the correct equipment, because his DSL would work fine if it was a hub, but you wouldnt be able to get access it. it needs to be a router to share the IP.

also im not sure about the design of the PB g3, but external antennae most certainly do not work better with most Macs. New macs are built with the antennae built in and have much better range with an Airport card than a cheesy PCMCIA/PCI card.

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
well all I can tell ya is that in the library at school, I get 25% to 40% signal, and my friend doesn't get any with a new iBook in the exact same place. also I've tried it in my home. I can take my PB G3 places my dad can't go with his TiBook

the funny thing is that as soon as I switch to OS X, my signal gets cut dramatically. about to the point where its the same as the ibook

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.