Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Ok,

Like many, my all-in-one has fax capabilities. I know how to use it over the internet through my Mac. That's not the issue.

Because I sometimes need to send/receive faxes with parts of the country where internet fax doesn't work (yes, that does exist) or with people using old machines that don't support modern protocols, I must maintain a land line for fax.

My wife likes to roll my all-in-one into her office for scanning projects. No problem there as I can still print and scan but the fax line has to be disconnected when she does.

I'd like to find a fax server that sits at the end of the phone line and lets us send/receive without the printer being tethered to the cord. It shouldn't make a difference but I have a Brother MFC-J6935DW

Everything else is possible including software updates wirelessly but wireless fax to a dedicated phone line...

I can't find anything—does it exist?

Mikael H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2014
Fax - now that's a word I haven't heard in a long time...

For many years I managed a group of servers running the ZetaFax software from Equisys. I'm sure they have personal or small-business propositions that could provide you with a useful flow centered around your regular email client. Today they even have some kind of cloud solution that could let you avoid having to deal with the Hell-on-Earth that is dedicated fax hardware and SIP (non-) standards.

Effectively you'd receive faxes from the fax server/service to your email client, and send mail (from your own mail client, or from your scanner) to the fax server, which in turn would convert the scanned file to a fax image file, and send it to the intended recipient.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
One thing you could do... they make devices that allow you to connect a phone line through a power-outlet. Let's you hook-up a phone in a room without a dedicated jack. They supposed work for fax.

See:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...e+jack.TRS0&_nkw=wireless+phone+jack&_sacat=0
That's a great idea. Unfortunately, one that I can't use. My house was built in 1960 and is 2-wire/no ground throughout.

I may just get a dedicated fax machine for my office with a built in laser printer. I had forgotten that those were still being made. Not the solution I was looking for but it does solve the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.