Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gallinger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
Canada
I am trying to find out how much it would be to get the wireless internet card to go in my mac pro, because i regret not getting it when i bought my computer. I just got off the phone with the apple store in toronto and she said that i have to buy the airport extreme. but on there website it even says it will not work in the mac pro. I dont know what to buy or do, but I want it now. haha

can anyone help me out here?

Nick

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
The standard AirPort Extreme card does not work in the Mac Pro...the MP uses a custom card that Apple would have to order and install for you.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
WildCowboy is correct. The 'AirPort Extreme' card is an older, "mini PCI" card that was used by PowerPC-based Macs. The Intel Macs use a "mini PCI Express" card. Since every Intel Mac other than the Mac Pro comes with wireless by default, they don't bother making this new card available for general sale and self-install.

But any Apple Authorized Service Center should be able to get and install one for you. On the plus side, it will support the new 802.11(pre-)n standard. I would actually wait until late February to get it, so you won't have to pay the $5.00 to activate the pre-n functionality. (Unless you are planning on buying the new pre-n AirPort Extreme router when it comes out next month. The activation software will come with the router, or be a $5.00 separate purchase. There have been a few stories about this recently.)

gallinger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
Canada
thank you! its nice to get an answer. And I actually do plan on buying the new Airport extreme. so i dont need to worry about that. Thanks for the help!

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
The card Apple uses is the Broadcom 4311:

macproairportexpress.jpg

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
You have to use the Apple card. A same model of Broadcom-made card may very well work in Windows via Boot Camp, but I wouldn't count on anything other than an actual Apple card working in OS X.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
You have to use the Apple card. A same model of Broadcom-made card may very well work in Windows via Boot Camp, but I wouldn't count on anything other than an actual Apple card working in OS X.

Yeah I think the apple version is different. Broadcom does not say anything about wireless N. Yet apple says that it does work with N. So either they are different chips or Broadcom is not saying they support N one of the two.

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
I am trying to find out how much it would be to get the wireless internet card to go in my mac pro, because i regret not getting it when i bought my computer. I just got off the phone with the apple store in toronto and she said that i have to buy the airport extreme. but on there website it even says it will not work in the mac pro. I dont know what to buy or do, but I want it now. haha

can anyone help me out here?

Nick

Apple make an "Airport Extreme" module specifically for the Mac Pro. It is available as a build-to-order or as a upgrade that can be fitted in an Apple Store. Some websites also sell the upgrade. Apple's web store does not sell the item because it is not supposed to be installed by end-users.

This module is based on the Broadcom 802.11n chipset and will be compatible with 802.11n once the N-Abler is released by Apple. Without the N-Abler it looks just like a regular 802.11G part. The module connects to two of the Mac Pro's three internal antennas.

Many users of the Mac Pro fitted with this module have reported less-than-impressive performance. They cite poor range and signal strength - and throughput is only a fraction of what is reasonable for an 802.11G card. Hopefully this might improve once the N-abler is applied.

C.

not_batman

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2005
Toronto
Rather than start a whole new thread I will just post in this one. Hey, I am even in Toronto too!

I just bought an Airport Extreme card for my Mac Pro (at Computer Systems Center, OP) and when I looked up on the internet how to install it I found out it is "not user installable." Now, I technically could install it myself, but I am wondering, if I do install it will my warranty be void?
I really don't want to wreck my warranty on my less than one week old machine...

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Huh?

Rather than start a whole new thread I will just post in this one. Hey, I am even in Toronto too!

I just bought an Airport Extreme card for my Mac Pro (at Computer Systems Center, OP) and when I looked up on the internet how to install it I found out it is "not user installable." Now, I technically could install it myself, but I am wondering, if I do install it will my warranty be void?
I really don't want to wreck my warranty on my less than one week old machine...

You bought the actual card or the kit?

not_batman

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2005
Toronto
You bought the actual card or the kit?
I don't know what you mean by kit, but I got the one pictured above, in a little white box that says it is an Airport Extreme card for Mac Pro.
I know it is the right thing, and I know how to go about installing it, all I am really asking is if I will void my warranty if I do install it myself.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Kit

By kit I meant the airport/bluetooth kit that Apple sells.

You won't void your warranty by actually installing, but if you break something, break on something wrong, move something or in any way change any part of the internal structure, you warranty will be voided.

But, if you manage to install it perfectly, then this conversation never happened.

PS...it's really easy.

not_batman

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2005
Toronto
By kit I meant the airport/bluetooth kit that Apple sells.

You won't void your warranty by actually installing, but if you break something, break on something wrong, move something or in any way change any part of the internal structure, you warranty will be voided.

But, if you manage to install it perfectly, then this conversation never happened.

PS...it's really easy.

It's just the airport card, no bluetooth.

Great to hear, though.
Thanks!

I mean... conversation? what conversation? :confused: ;)

theblotted

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2006
Los Angeles
Many users of the Mac Pro fitted with this module have reported less-than-impressive performance. They cite poor range and signal strength - and throughput is only a fraction of what is reasonable for an 802.11G card. Hopefully this might improve once the N-abler is applied.

C.

is this the reason why? damn...

i thought it was because my MacPro was in a bad part of the house or something. can you point me to other threads/MP users who's experiencing this also?

i really do hope the new N-abler will give me better range, strength, and performance.... fack crippleware.

gallinger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
Canada
okay does anyone Know where I can buy Just the airport extreme card for the mac pro? Because I want to put it in myself. Anyone?

gallinger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
Canada
okay this is awesome. I just have one more question. will this be compatable with the 802.11n? i just want to make sure it is. so when i buy the new airport extreme ill be taking advantage of it!

dkoralek

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
okay this is awesome. I just have one more question. will this be compatable with the 802.11n? i just want to make sure it is. so when i buy the new airport extreme ill be taking advantage of it!

Not to be an ass, but did you read the earlier comments in this thread?

Once the airport extreme base station is available there will be a software updater to enable 802.11n. This will be free with the base station or sold for $5 without the base station.

cheers.

not_batman

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2005
Toronto
okay does anyone Know where I can buy Just the airport extreme card for the mac pro? Because I want to put it in myself. Anyone?

Gallinger, you are in Toronto, right?
If you are and didn't already get it then go to Computer Systems Center at college and spadina. I got one there yesterday, so I can guarantee you will be able to get one there.

Good luck!

gallinger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
Canada
im about 2.5 hrs from toronto and the only way for me to get one is online or ordering it from a reseller and every time i talk to him about it he has no idea what it is. so, I was looking on the website of the store u got urs at but couldn't find it.

gallinger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
Canada
Not_batman, Is there any way that you can give me the part number for it. I just got off the phone with the guy at Computer systems center and I think he gave me the wrong part number, or I wrote it down wrong. thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.