Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Howdy All,

I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with any wireless mic's that can be attached to a Canon DSLR? I need one to shoot a couple of videos that are coming up and the only ones I can find are made by a mob called Movo, whom I've never heard of before and they get very mixed results in regards to reviews over on Amazon for an older product of this sort.

The one I'm interested in is a Movo 2.4GHz Wireless Canon EOS Mic System.

I can't use a directional mic fixed to the camera, as in one of the videos, the person I'll be shooting footage of wants to be able to walk around a bit out in nature.

If anyone has any experience with using one or knows of another, I'd appreciate the help.

Our budget is about $250 US.

Thanks in advance,
Alex

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
There are probably -many- wireless mic packages that one can buy, from relatively cheap (as the one you posted above is), to quite expensive.

Amazon might be a good place to start searching.

Sorry I can't help with any specific recommendations.

Have you tried researching over at gearslutz.com ??

Reactions: Alexander.Of.Oz

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
There are probably -many- wireless mic packages that one can buy, from relatively cheap (as the one you posted above is), to quite expensive.

Amazon might be a good place to start searching.

Sorry I can't help with any specific recommendations.

Have you tried researching over at gearslutz.com ??
Thanks for the heads-up about gearslutz.com. I'll go have a look-see.

I've searched on amazon and there's a few different brands available to me, all about the same quality as the one I'm interested in and all come with mixed reviews too, so it's not really that much help, unfortunately.

BeechFlyer

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2015
Cedar Rapids, IA
Alex,

Sennheiser's EW series is pretty good, but a little above your stated budget. You may want to consider renting one of those for your project.

Have you completely ruled out using a wired lav? They are cheaper and sound so much better. Even very expensive high-end wireless systems won't sound as good as a moderately priced wired mic.

Last edited:

BeechFlyer

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2015
Cedar Rapids, IA
I can't use a directional mic fixed to the camera, as in one of the videos, the person I'll be shooting footage of wants to be able to walk around a bit out in nature.
[...]
Our budget is about $250 US.
Alex,

I reiterate my question whether it really needs to be wireless. For less than your stated budget, you can purchase a decent wired lav and a small, portable audio recorder that can be hidden on the talent. Then add the recorded audio to your video in post. This will give you better sound quality than even high-end wireless systems.

A good review of lavs can be found here:
http://www.micreviews.com/guides/top-10-best-lavalier-microphones

There are many good choices for portable recorders under $100. I have a Tascam DR-05 that I'm very happy with, but like I said, many good choices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.