Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Howdy All,

I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with any wireless mic's that can be attached to a Canon DSLR? I need one to shoot a couple of videos that are coming up and the only ones I can find are made by a mob called Movo, whom I've never heard of before and they get very mixed results in regards to reviews over on Amazon for an older product of this sort.

The one I'm interested in is a Movo 2.4GHz Wireless Canon EOS Mic System.

I can't use a directional mic fixed to the camera, as in one of the videos, the person I'll be shooting footage of wants to be able to walk around a bit out in nature.

If anyone has any experience with using one or knows of another, I'd appreciate the help.

Our budget is about $250 US.

Thanks in advance,
Alex

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Howdy All,

I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with any wireless mic's that can be attached to a Canon DSLR? I need one to shoot a couple of videos that are coming up and the only ones I can find are made by a mob called Movo, whom I've never heard of before and they get very mixed results in regards to reviews over on Amazon for an older product of this sort.

The one I'm interested in is a Movo 2.4GHz Wireless Canon EOS Mic System.

I can't use a directional mic fixed to the camera, as in one of the videos, the person I'll be shooting footage of wants to be able to walk around a bit out in nature.

If anyone has any experience with using one or knows of another, I'd appreciate the help.

Thanks in advance,
Alex
Couldn't you use a lapel mike?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Thanks for that, it would require syncing the sound to the video, which could be quite bothersome given that there will be lots of stopping and starting, but it's an option I hadn't thought of.
What software do you use to edit with? I'm only just starting to dable in video. Going to try Davinci Resolve (as it's free!).

scottrngr

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2015
That broadcasts on the same frequency as a wireless phone. I used to have a cheap sony system, and it only worked within about 20 feet of the camera. You'll get the same kind of static, and fade in/out as with a wireless phone.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
That broadcasts on the same frequency as a wireless phone. I used to have a cheap sony system, and it only worked within about 20 feet of the camera. You'll get the same kind of static, and fade in/out as with a wireless phone.
Interestingly, our 2.4GHz phone lets us get crystal clear calls from the park next door, about 50 metres from the base station. My radio controlled cars operate at 2.4GHz also and they are controlled accurately at races on a track that has them almost 100 metres away from me. I race 1/8th scale nitro buggies and they have a huge track.

I'm not expecting the same results from these mic's however. On some of the reviews for them folks have claimed a range of 50 feet and more with clear reception, whilst others have had nothing but grief and static because they have used cheap batteries with the units rather than forking out for lithium batteries.

I'm limited by my lenses also, so won't be shooting anything ridiculously far away.

They come with a one year warranty, so I might just give them a chance. I can't seem to find anything better for the price range we have to work with, apart from a model of the same make that has a lot more channels to choose from for about $50 more and still within our budget.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland

2.4GHz is also the WiFi standard freq - almost sounds like you are talking about a 90's analogue wireless phone with static and fade out...

steve123

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2007
Howdy All,

I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with any wireless mic's that can be attached to a Canon DSLR?

Thanks in advance,
Alex

Stumbled across this today:
http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/metarecorder

Metarecorder uses an iPhone or iPad and can use the internal mic or an external Sennheiser mic for professional sound quality. What caught my eye is that you can link multiple devices and tag the recordings. Looks like you could do it close to your budget using the ClipMic. Or, if you just want to use the mic on the iphone, you can just use the app.

You can download the app from the app store and test it out. I have been test driving it and I am impressed. Try out linking two devices. It is pretty cool. The free app only records for 60 sec. There is an in app purchase to unlock longer recording and multi devices. The entire feature set can be unlocked for $20. Seems like a good deal.

Last edited:

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I need one to shoot a couple of videos that are coming up

Our budget is about $250 US

Do you think you will need it again in the future? Are the video shoots scheduled close to each other?

You could rent a good wireless microphone: https://www.lensrentals.com/rent/video/audio/lavalier-mics

But here's a favorable review of a $200 wireless kit:

This guy reviews a lot of audio equipment... and he says it's pretty good for the money. The included lavalier mic isn't the greatest... but it'll work. And it's replaceable.

Note: it's difficult to find <$250 wireless kits that are any good. "Cheap" and "Good" don't usually go together. :p

Reactions: Alexander.Of.Oz

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
FCPX does the syncing quite nicely...
Thanks @dwfaust but I'm using iMovie only. I definitely don't have the time or energy to learn how to use and have to purchase FCPX.
[doublepost=1502173659][/doublepost]
Stumbled across this today:
http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/metarecorder

Metarecorder uses an iPhone or iPad and can use the internal mic or an external Sennheiser mic for professional sound quality. What caught my eye is that you can link multiple devices and tag the recordings. Looks like you could do it close to your budget using the ClipMic. Or, if you just want to use the mic on the iphone, you can just use the app.

You can download the app from the app store and test it out. I have been test driving it and I am impressed. Try out linking two devices. It is pretty cool. The free app only records for 60 sec. There is an in app purchase to unlock longer recording and multi devices. The entire feature set can be unlocked for $20. Seems like a good deal.
That would create the same dilemma of having to try and sync every single bit of audio to video. Not something I'm willing to do hundreds of times I'm afraid. But thanks for the suggestion, maybe it will assist someone else who happens to read this thread.
[doublepost=1502174155][/doublepost]
Do you think you will need it again in the future? Are the video shoots scheduled close to each other?

You could rent a good wireless microphone: https://www.lensrentals.com/rent/video/audio/lavalier-mics

But here's a favorable review of a $200 wireless kit:

This guy reviews a lot of audio equipment... and he says it's pretty good for the money. The included lavalier mic isn't the greatest... but it'll work. And it's replaceable.

Note: it's difficult to find <$250 wireless kits that are any good. "Cheap" and "Good" don't usually go together. :p
Thanks, Michael, however I'd be surprised if lens rentals would rent to me, I'm in Australia!

I might investigate hiring locally though.

That was helpful with the video review, it looks to be an interesting option.

Unfortunately, it's not something I'm getting paid for, so the budget is what it is. I don't expect professional quality and neither do those I'll be doing the work for. I've been up front in that regard with them and everybody's happy.

Thanks again for your assistance.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
You may want to try and use a couple of different approaches. Get something like a Rode on-camera for most shots. And for those where the person insists on walking around, use a body-mounted recorder (like a lapel connected to an iPhone, such as one made by Audio Technica). Then you only have to sync that one (or just a few) shots. Pretty easy to match another audio track to the camera's scratch track.

Reactions: RCAFBrat

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
You may want to try and use a couple of different approaches. Get something like a Rode on-camera for most shots. And for those where the person insists on walking around, use a body-mounted recorder (like a lapel connected to an iPhone, such as one made by Audio Technica). Then you only have to sync that one (or just a few) shots. Pretty easy to match another audio track to the camera's scratch track.
An on-camera mic would work for one of the upcoming shoots, but not for the other one, where we will be filming outdoors and the host will be moving all around the place. A mic plugged into an iPhone or other device would be a nightmare for me, they are planning on having a mountain of different takes. I need to keep this as simple as possible, I don't have hundreds of hours to muck around trying to sync audio with video.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
Well, at some point you may want to state to them that to get the best audio and/or video with the equipment you have, you (the on-screen talent) will need to do it "this way." Perhaps their artistic sensibilities will drive them to rent a Sennheiser G3, or other suitable equipment.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

No. on-camera is ALWAYS the worst place for a microphone. OK there is one good use for it. It is always in sync with e video and you can use the on-camera mic for sync'ing recored sound. But thegn-camera sound is "throw away" and is never use in the final edit.

Always use a wire if you can. but a GOOD wireless link is also good.

You can many times hide the microphone on the set. Maybe in back of a coffee cup on a desk.

With video we like to keep the top of the person's head with at the top of the frame. It looks look that way. ut this also means we can hide a mic on a boom dust out of view over theta of the frame and still be pretty close.

The camera is the WORST place because it is the furthest away you can get (without being REALLY dumb) any location is closer.

OK one time you have to use it. It you are shooting impromptu video with no planning, like a news event of live action. or maybe in a war zone.

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK
As someone who has tried a lot of mics over the years, I'd definitely recommend getting the very best your budget allows. Bad sound (where you can't decipher the words being said) make a beautifully filmed video really hard (some would say impossible/pointless) to watch. However, great sound on an video with very average visuals is still comfortably watchable.

We use the Rode wireless mics (linked above in another post). Imo they are incredible, better than the Sennheiser G3 mics we used prior to them, and about half the price.

Word of warning, I've tried a lot of cheap wireless mics and the sound from them has been pretty much un-useable every time, they are simply a waste of money.

FCP X syncs sound with DSLR camera footage from an external mic really easily, this great video shows you how to do it: https://youtu.be/6L79TgzlHZg.

You can use all its functions when using the 30 day free trial.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
As someone who has tried a lot of mics over the years, I'd definitely recommend getting the very best your budget allows. Bad sound (where you can't decipher the words being said) make a beautifully filmed video really hard (some would say impossible/pointless) to watch. However, great sound on an video with very average visuals is still comfortably watchable.

We use the Rode wireless mics (linked above in another post). Imo they are incredible, better than the Sennheiser G3 mics we used prior to them, and about half the price.

Word of warning, I've tried a lot of cheap wireless mics and the sound from them has been pretty much un-useable every time, they are simply a waste of money.

FCP X syncs sound with DSLR camera footage from an external mic really easily, this great video shows you how to do it: https://youtu.be/6L79TgzlHZg.

You can use all its functions when using the 30 day free trial.
Are you referring to this one?
https://www.amazon.com/Rode-RodeLink-Wireless-Filmmaker-System/dp/B00TV90DX0

If so, it's $150 US over our budget.

We don't have an extra $500 to buy FCPX.

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

Probably your best bet is to use a lapel mic synched to an iPhone or Android device worn by the speaker (as mentioned above) -- and then synch to the video in post-production using the method described in #19 above.

Or else, spend the money and get a decent wireless mic to camera input setup.

Last edited:

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
OP:

Probably your best bet is to use a lapel mic synched to an iPhone or Android device worn by the speaker (as mentioned above) -- and then synch to the video in post-production using the method described in #19 above.

Or else, spend the money and get a decent wireless mic to camera input setup.
As one of the videos is probably going to have upwards of a hundred different sections to it, let alone the actual number of takes, I can't go that option. I don't have hundreds of hours to invest in this project trying to find the correct bit of audio for matching to the video. In the video with many sections to it we will be shooting in a whole manner of different locations.

Please refer to post #20 in regards to our budget and the more expensive options.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Don't waste your time on cheap wireless setups. There trrrible and range is poor and will gather a lot of interference. Unfortunately in the business you get what you pay for. Try renting a setup. Sennheiser G3 system work quite well :)

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Don't waste your time on cheap wireless setups. There trrrible and range is poor and will gather a lot of interference. Unfortunately in the business you get what you pay for. Try renting a setup. Sennheiser G3 system work quite well :)
Have ended up with a decision to hire the mic for the days we need it, we'll be using the Sennheiser EW100G3, which we can get for AU $53.21 a day and cheaper if we need it for a couple of days, which will be the case for one of the shoots.

Thanks for the recommendations to steer clear of the cheap wireless mic's.

ocabj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
I just use a Zoom H1 field recorder in my pocket with a Sony lapel mic (but I just recently acquired a Rode which I haven't tried out, yet). Sync it in post with PluralEyes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.