Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slick316

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2005
Well, I already gave it a try, but need some advice, here's what happened.

I had a wireless-g Linksys router that died on me. I was using an old Netgear usb wireless-b adapter for my PC desktop. I always had problems with the desktop connecting to the router, same goes with my MB. A buddy of mine has an older wireless-b setup at his home, and it works great for him and for me (its Netgear).

I thought I would "upgrade" to a wireless-n setup this time around. For some dumb reason, I went with Linksys (that darn Cisco logo fooled me into thinking it was something good). It was not good at all. I couldn't stay connected to the router for more than 5 minutes. Tried Linksys support. Got advice that didn't work, than was told that I should "wait a month" and they might have something. I wasn't going to wait until the return period at Best Buy was over, no thanks. I am returning the stuff tomorrow, but need something new now (the product in question is the Linksys WRT300N router and WUSB300N usb adapter).

I was wondering if I should try my luck with another wireless-n setup from a different manufacturer, like Netgear, D-Link, or Belkin? Or get a wireless-g setup? I wanted to stay "ahead" of the game, but I'm not going to bother if this is the headache I am going to get.

The only nice thing I noticed was that when I was connected, the connection speed hovered OVER 200mbps for the most part.

My main requirement, the router has to have 4 ports (I have it connected to my X360, HTPC, Toshiba HD-A1, and one extra).

Any advice? I am going tomorrow afternoon, would like to pick up a router and either a USB or PCI card solution for my desktop.

macman2790

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2006
Texas
i just got the belkin n1 wireless router from circuit city for 129.99 last week, no dropped connections, no problems at all. On wireless g mode everything stays connected at high speed. I don't have any 802.11n products to test it with buy i still recommend it. I had a linksys and man it was horrible, i thought the same thing because it was made by cisco. I recommend the belkin n1 to anyone. Yes to wireless n, especially if you plan on getting an itv, and future proofing your router unless you want to wait for the official 802.11n to be ratified in early 2008.

edit: it does have 4 ports

and you mentioned a linksys wireless n router, i've heard bad reviews all over the net and was originally going to purchase that exact model. Never get another linksys. Nothing but a bad experience.

heres a link for the n1: http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=273526

slick316

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2005
Thanks for the quick reply.

I was looking at the Belkin N1, looked great. Never looked at Belkin stuff before when it came to networking, but its good to know it works well for you.
I was thinking about going with the N1 router and the matching PCI card adapter.
How was it to setup? Meaning, do you have security setup on it? Was it easy to setup the security features?
Thats one of the issues I had with my Linksys. I wanted to NOT broadcast the SSID and have a WAP key on it, and for some reason I couldn't accomplish this, neither my desktop nor the MB would connect if I tried this (even if I broadcasted the SSID, I couldn't connect with my desktop unless I removed the security, lame).
Thanks again, more than likely, since I was looking at it and you had only good things to say, I will get the Belkin N1.

i just got the belkin n1 wireless router from circuit city for 129.99 last week, no dropped connections, no problems at all. On wireless g mode everything stays connected at high speed. I don't have any 802.11n products to test it with buy i still recommend it. I had a linksys and man it was horrible, i thought the same thing because it was made by cisco. I recommend the belkin n1 to anyone. Yes to wireless n, especially if you plan on getting an itv, and future proofing your router unless you want to wait for the official 802.11n to be ratified in early 2008.

edit: it does have 4 ports

and you mentioned a linksys wireless n router, i've heard bad reviews all over the net and was originally going to purchase that exact model. Never get another linksys. Nothing but a bad experience.

heres a link for the n1: http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=273526

macman2790

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2006
Texas
awesome, it was easy to setup security. I don't have the matching desktop card but i'm sure its awesome, considering that its also an n card. I can't imagine how fast it is.

slick316

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2005
Well, got the Belkin N1 router and matching N1 PCI desktop card.

The router installed easily and was up and running in no time. The desktop card was a different story.

I had to get to work so I couldn't fiddle with it, but it seems as though I couldn't get the drivers working.

I'll mess with it when I can, but the router works great and I love that (at range is also very good).

Thanks again for the suggestion, the N1 is great and easy to use (looks nice also :) ).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.