Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
So… I own and love my AKG K702 headphones. Had them for years and they have always pleased me.

However! They are wired and lately I have been thinking of getting a pair of wireless headphones.

The K702s work fine when I am seated at my desk, doing computer stuff, but nowadays I spend 85% of my working time away from my desk standing while drawing and painting — and frankly dealing with a long cable that gets in the way, knocking things over is not ideal.

• My budget is max £350.
  • I mostly listen to Classical — I do not need deeeeeeep thumping base. At all. Just clean, natural with a reasonably wide sound stage.
  • I do not need Noise cancellation — for those long plane trips I have some Sony in ear ANCs which do the job just fine. But if it has to be then so be it.
  • Over ear is my preference.

Any recommendations?

Thanks for the help! 🙂

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Bose™ has that great classical music sound quality but their products are cheaply made for the price.
all my 7 Bose products I purchased this century are not working fully
the Soundtouch20™ is still playing, but has connection problem, the new owner told me.

when I purchased stereo equipment,
the second movement of Shostakovich's 11th Symphony was a great yard stick.

I would go to a shop and just try out some headphones and get the ones you like!

Reactions: arkitect

TorbenIbsen

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2021
Why not read some reviews on hifi-sites and similar? Answers in here will be totally random.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Why not read some reviews on hifi-sites and similar? Answers in here will be totally random.
Thanks. Very helpful. 🙄

I asked here because I like this community and they often have great suggestions on a variety of topics beyond things Apple.

And yes, trust me I have been reading Audiophile sites till my eyes bleed…

So… I thought I'd ask here?

Sorry if that offended you.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
when I purchased stereo equipment,
the second movement of Shostakovich's 11th Symphony was a great yard stick.
Oh absolutely. That'd give any headphones a good workout… one of my all time favourites, BTW. 👍
I would go to a shop and just try out some headphones and get the ones you like!
Indeed I would. Problem is I'd need to get to a larger town. 🤣
Years ago there actually were a few shops. All closed down, so stuck with things like Argos etc.

Reactions: MBAir2010

olavsu1

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2022
I'd stick with wired headphones...

It was also heard from Apple's labs that the bandwidth of Bluetooth is not enough to transmit music. there was such news once.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

brilliantthings

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
So… I own and love my AKG K702 headphones. Had them for years and they have always pleased me.

However! They are wired and lately I have been thinking of getting a pair of wireless headphones.

The K702s work fine when I am seated at my desk, doing computer stuff, but nowadays I spend 85% of my working time away from my desk standing while drawing and painting — and frankly dealing with a long cable that gets in the way, knocking things over is not ideal.

• My budget is max £350.
  • I mostly listen to Classical — I do not need deeeeeeep thumping base. At all. Just clean, natural with a reasonably wide sound stage.
  • I do not need Noise cancellation — for those long plane trips I have some Sony in ear ANCs which do the job just fine. But if it has to be then so be it.
  • Over ear is my preference.

Any recommendations?

Thanks for the help! 🙂
Where did you arrive? I think I'll stick with my k702's but I'm interested in what you ended up with.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Where did you arrive? I think I'll stick with my k702's but I'm interested in what you ended up with.
Thanks for asking. 🙂

I still have my K702s… they are my wired listening headphones.

Then I also bought the Sony WH-1000XM4 — great for wireless — which was my original quest — The noise cancellation is excellent and to my ears the sound is just fine for a bluetooth connection.
Also nice to go for a long walk and just be free of wires — or nothing stuck in to my ears, which I dislike quite a bit.

So far so good. The Sony's have been on a couple airplane and train trips and the noise cancellation is just awesome.

brilliantthings

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
That's great. I have a second hand pair of qc25 with a cheap Bluetooth adaptor. Great for the plane. No match for k702 for sound. But that's fine.
PS Hidizs s9 pro DAC/amp for the k702.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.