Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dougnewman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
Long Island, NY, USA
I'm trying to add an all-in-one/multifunction to my home wireless network, so I can print (and possibly scan?) wirelessly with my 12" PB and my dad can from his ancient Dell notebook (which has Windows 2000 and a Linksys 802.11b/g wireless card).

The obvious choice would be a multifunction that has wireless networking built-in, but there are only a few of these, and they are very expensive ($300-$500, which is a lot these days for an inkjet multifunction).

There are quite a few less expensive multifunction that have regular wired Ethernet ports. What I can't seem to find anywhere is whether I can connect that port to one of the ports in my wireless router (a Linksys WRT54G) and then use it wirelessly... And if I can, can I only print with it, or can I use the scan functions as well?

The other option is to get a regular non-networked multifunction and plug it into an Airport Express via USB (and replace my Linksys router). This should work fine for the printer, but again, can I use the full functions of the multifunction, including scanning, or only printing?

Thanks for your help.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
The hardwired network cable to Linksys router option should be fine, and depending on the individual brand, you should be able to use all the functions. If you go the Express route, you'll only be able to print. Other functions will not work with the Express via USB. Tell us which printers you're looking at and we might be able to help with more specific details. :)

dougnewman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
Long Island, NY, USA
Thanks, sounds like a printer with wired networking is the way to go then.

I was thinking either of the HP Photosmart C5180 or HP Photosmart 2570 or HP Officejet 6310.

I've never been a huge fan of HP printers, but it seems most of the affordable inkjet all-in-ones with wired networking built-in are HPs.

I also just realized that they do have a less expensive printer with wireless networking, the C6180, which I oddly never noticed before. It looks very similar to the C5180, but with wireless networking... So is it worth buying the 6180 instead of the 5180? Will I get any extra benefit out of having the wireless networking bullt into the printer rather than plugging it into my wireless router?

Thanks again for the help!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I don't know much about those specific printers, but the benefit of built in wireless printing capabilities is that you're not limited to placing the printer near your router/print server. In terms of capabilities, they should be the same so long as the individual models are similar. :)

Gamey

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2006
Scotland
Just a reminder to anyone thinking of using a wireless printer;

If you are using a large printer, A3 and above, to print photogaphs you will get frequent time-outs due to the time it takes to send the data to the printer using wireless.

John

Sherman Homan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2006
So is it worth buying the 6180 instead of the 5180? Will I get any extra benefit out of having the wireless networking bullt into the printer rather than plugging it into my wireless router?

Nope! The wireless just gives you greater flexibility in terms of where you can physically put the printer.

dougnewman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
Long Island, NY, USA
Thanks for all the help.

I may go with the wireless printer for future flexibility in where to put it - initially it will be right next to my router since I have nowhere else to put it right now, but eventually that may change.

coolcorgi

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2006
Florida
dougnewman......

I've been trying to determine/decide on a which "type" of wireless printer to purchase also; and how/what/whether the "scan" feature will work wirelessly. Have you decided, learned or purchased anything yet? If not, be carefull!

Its not easy finding/getting accurate information regarding the ability to "scan" wirelessly. I'm considering the same printers you mentioned above, and would even be willing to spring the $300 to $400 (with 100 rebate) to get a good printer that would be easy to set up, connect, fully operate/function and scan wirelessly. I don't remember whether it was an HP or Cannon, but there are at least 2 very informative customer reviews (actual buyers/owners) on the Apple Store's website, in their "printers" section. The customers specifically address this wireless "scan" issue, ability! One customer complained, thinking he would be able to wirelessly scan, and could NOT. While another mentioned that he WAS able to scan wirelessly, and was very happy! There was also information, I think, about one being able to print wirelessly, but needed to be wired in order to scan.

Let me know if you've learned anything more or bought. If you need any help finding the Printer link and Customer Review's section on the Apple Website/Online Store, let me know. There are reviews on quite a few of the printers, but they are short and sweet and very helpfull.

Good Luck,
Coolcorgi

SStreuli

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2006
This may seem a little tangential, and I'll apologize in advance. But I have a C5180 hooked up to an airport express. It works fine when printing from my iBook, but my wife and I (and myriad HP support folk) can't seem to figure out how to get my wifes brand new HP notebook to print wirelessly. We keep getting a printer error. When the printer is connected straight to the HP notebook via a USB cable it prints fine. But not when trying through the airport. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.