Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brianjcameron

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
I currenty have a Netgear DG834N router. I am having ever increasing trouble connecting my imac to it, with it seeing the wireless network in airport, but not able to connect to it, with no error messages. I have tried updating all firmware, and restoring router, re-entering details etc. No avail. I have decided that the router has a fault and it is time to replace. I would appreciate help in choosing a new router, as i am not tech savvy in that way.

I have iphone, imac, PC, apple TV, PS3, and Wii that i use wireless for. I now also have my iPad. So i want it to be proven success with iPad as i know some people have had wireless issues with some routers.

It has been suggested to me that the Draytek Vigor 2820n Wireless router is the way to go, as it has a very strong signal, and i have an old house with lots of stone walls. I want to use my equipment all around my house and in the garden area too.

Hope you guys can help me with some advice. Please note, can you tell me if you have tried and tested with iPad in your response. Thanks.

Pushkar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
SW London, UK
Yes, I have also heard that the Drayteks are quite good routers, Linksys remains pretty popular as well due to the custom firmware available.

I personally have a Apple 'Time Capsule' so that I get 2TB of space for Backups via my Macs and for filesharing - and also a USB port so that you can share a Printer over the Network.

I would recommend that no matter what router you get, you should go for a Dual-Band one, so you can run G and Wireless N at the same time, so older iPhones can go on G, PS3 can use G and your Wii can also use the G frequency while the iPad, and other Apple Computers can run on Wireless N without slowing down the network (Wireless G is limited to something like 25mbps).

I use the Time Capsule without any problems, it's a simple setup router and would recommend it to anyone, specially those who are not very technically able persay. (Airport Extreme will do the job if you don't need to backup/storage).

brianjcameron

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Yes, I have also heard that the Drayteks are quite good routers, Linksys remains pretty popular as well due to the custom firmware available.

I personally have a Apple 'Time Capsule' so that I get 2TB of space for Backups via my Macs and for filesharing - and also a USB port so that you can share a Printer over the Network.

I would recommend that no matter what router you get, you should go for a Dual-Band one, so you can run G and Wireless N at the same time, so older iPhones can go on G, PS3 can use G and your Wii can also use the G frequency while the iPad, and other Apple Computers can run on Wireless N without slowing down the network (Wireless G is limited to something like 25mbps).

I use the Time Capsule without any problems, it's a simple setup router and would recommend it to anyone, specially those who are not very technically able persay. (Airport Extreme will do the job if you don't need to backup/storage).

If i get a time capsule, i still need a modem though right? The time capsule does not connect direct to the phone line does it?

Pushkar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
SW London, UK
If i get a time capsule, i still need a modem though right? The time capsule does not connect direct to the phone line does it?

Yeah, it's just a router only - The Time Capsules/Airport Extremes. It didn't say anything in your original post about connecting it through the phoneline.

Anyway, not an expert with the Drayteks - but maybe you should go for a model with Simultaneous Dual Band (Broadcasting G and N at the same time) so that your older devices can still use it, and newer devices can utilise all of the speed you have available.

brianjcameron

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Yeah, it's just a router only - The Time Capsules/Airport Extremes. It didn't say anything in your original post about connecting it through the phoneline.

Anyway, not an expert with the Drayteks - but maybe you should go for a model with Simultaneous Dual Band (Broadcasting G and N at the same time) so that your older devices can still use it, and newer devices can utilise all of the speed you have available.

Ok thanks. The DG834N has a modem built in so if i replace it with a time capsule, i would need to buy a modem too.

ibosie

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
London
Ok thanks. The DG834N has a modem built in so if i replace it with a time capsule, i would need to buy a modem too.

The Netgear has a modem mode too, in the same way you login through a web browser just change the page in the URL to mode.htm to show the option for router or modem. The Time Capsule or Airport Base Station should then be set to "Share a public IP Address" in order to become the DHCP router. If you have a static ip address you might want to make a note of the subnet mask and router IP the Netgear is using so you can replicate this setup in the Apple router's TCP/IP page.

Kobra

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
If you mostly own Apple devices I'd recomend you to get a Aple router as it will give you the least headache. You'll need a modem as well though. I've used many different routers, including NetGear, in the past. They didn't play nice with my Apple devices and computers. I'm currently using a AirPort Extreme and I have no connection problems with my iPad...

brianjcameron

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
OK thanks everyone for the advice.

Anyone have any personal experience with the Draytek router/modem that i suggested?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.