Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpeedDemon

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2004
I'm an IT consultant, and I specialize in wireless networking. Do not get the Apple Airport unless you have a really small area that you want to cover. It doesn't have enough flexibility. It's a good AP for a small area, but the only option as a repeater is really just the Airport Express.

For most home installs I recommend the Linksys WRT54G or WRT54GS. It can be repeated with a WAP54G which is a great AP from Linksys. I recommend using the OpenWRT firmware and then boosting the radio output from the stock 28mW to 84mW if you have a larger area to cover. Even if you don't need to cover that kind of area you have the option to. The WRT54G is great because of it's excellent feature set and the fact that it runs Linux so there are tons of firmware options because people have made great improvements due to the Open Source. Another recommendation on firmware is the Sveasoft firmware, but technically you aren't supposed to be able to use that firmware, since you are supposed to have to pay (it's easy enough to find though ;)).

If you are willing to spend a little bit more money then I always recommend using a separate router and some AP's like the Netgear WG302's (these are a pain too though becuase none of the Netgear publicly release firmware is any good. To get them working you have to downloading the beta firmware.

Anyways, if money isn't an option and you need an easy to setup solution then use the Airport Extreme with a couple Airport Expresses as repeaters if need be. If you want to spend half as much money then go with the WRT54G and WAP54G's if you need repeaters (harder to setup correctly though).

ezkirk

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2004
Hong Kong
For most home installs I recommend the Linksys WRT54G or WRT54GS

I have a G4 running 10.3 at home with cable broadband. When I plug the router into the internet supply and the G4 into the router I lose any kind of internet connection I had. I tried accesing the router through Safari but to no result. I am realy trying to connect my G3 (OS 8.6) to the G4 so that I can transfer files and use the SCSi scanner (A3 expensive one). dispte the fact that the router lights up ports 1 and 2 in recognition of the computers being plugged into it, niether computer can see each other. What dio I need to do to get the router to work?

MacBandit

macrumors 604
I had a NetGear WGR614 and ended up getting a refurbished AEBS. It's much easier to change settings on and it doesn't take forever to take effect. When you tell it to do something it does it. Also my local network is much more responsive and even though my signal strength is weaker my transfer speeds are higher.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
ezkirk said:
I have a G4 running 10.3 at home with cable broadband. When I plug the router into the internet supply and the G4 into the router I lose any kind of internet connection I had. I tried accesing the router through Safari but to no result. I am realy trying to connect my G3 (OS 8.6) to the G4 so that I can transfer files and use the SCSi scanner (A3 expensive one). dispte the fact that the router lights up ports 1 and 2 in recognition of the computers being plugged into it, niether computer can see each other. What dio I need to do to get the router to work?

Okay here goes. When you plug a network device into another network device that uses the TCP/IP standard the device down stream is given an IP address. The problem is that these addresses often get hung up in the system so what you need to do is unplug all networking cables and disconnect the power or turn off your router. Reset your cable modem. I find that with mine the best way to do this is to hold the reset while unplugging it. Sometimes it takes more then once. Once all the lights light up on the cable modem and show a working status plug your router into it. Now turn on or connect power to your router. Wait for all the lights to turn on and a working status to show. Now with the computers go to your networking / tcp/ip control pane. Turn off tcp/ip and apply or save. Now plug your computers into the router and then turn tcp/ip back on. They should each pick up an assigned IP address from the router and should have access to the internet.

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2002
UK
Hoef said:
shy away from netgear (wireless G) .... too many resets etc.. Very frustrating

That seems to be the case with my parents' Netgear, but I'm inclined to think that this may be to do with plusnet's ADSL, rather than the hardware. We have a Netgear ADSL modem/router/wireless router here at work, and it never presents any problems, using pipex.

My vote still goes with Netgear - the configuration is very easy, via Safari or whatever.

Hoef

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2004
Houston, TX..... (keep walking)
Dunepilot said:
That seems to be the case with my parents' Netgear, but I'm inclined to think that this may be to do with plusnet's ADSL, rather than the hardware. We have a Netgear ADSL modem/router/wireless router here at work, and it never presents any problems, using pipex.

My vote still goes with Netgear - the configuration is very easy, via Safari or whatever.

I use cable internet .... I tried everything to get rid of the resetting but to no avail. Usually it resets continuiously for an hour .... Mostly around 7:30pm when I need it the most :mad: When I search on Google for a remedy, only netgear seems to popup with that problem.

illustratorDavi

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2004
North Yorkshire
NETGEAR DG834G

I have a NETGEAR DG834G it works great (I bought it because MacFormat recommended it)

I connect to it using a airport card in my imac (not extreme) and the rest of the family connect their pcs using netgear cards. Setup is easily and on the mac it doesn't require any software. Airport senses it, you setup your network manager to connect to it. Then you can setup your internet connection or do some maintanence just by dial 192.168.0.1 into the safari address bar - you do all the maintanence in webpages stored on the router. The broadband can be setup automatically using the wizard. You can also setup the built in firewall and adult filter.

There is now a later version with a print server i would go for that one

David

armandocerna

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2004
Chico, CA
I'll second the WRT54g option with a the open firmware it's a great option and I never have any problems with it. But if you have a large or thick walled area you need to cover you could add an airport express to repeat the linksys signal I know that it's an expensive solution but it works great. I tried usign a WRE54g which is the linksys range extender but it was awful If I got it working correctly it would stop working in a day it never really worked right.

Brother Michael

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
I haven't had any troubles with my Hardwired Linksys router or 10/100 switch. And I use my Mac with it.

What is so bad about Linksys and Macs?

Mike

Stallion

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2004
Waveland, MS
SpeedDemon said:
I'm an IT consultant, and I specialize in wireless networking. Do not get the Apple Airport unless you have a really small area that you want to cover. It doesn't have enough flexibility. It's a good AP for a small area, but the only option as a repeater is really just the Airport Express.

For most home installs I recommend the Linksys WRT54G or WRT54GS. It can be repeated with a WAP54G which is a great AP from Linksys. I recommend using the OpenWRT firmware and then boosting the radio output from the stock 28mW to 84mW if you have a larger area to cover. Even if you don't need to cover that kind of area you have the option to. The WRT54G is great because of it's excellent feature set and the fact that it runs Linux so there are tons of firmware options because people have made great improvements due to the Open Source. Another recommendation on firmware is the Sveasoft firmware, but technically you aren't supposed to be able to use that firmware, since you are supposed to have to pay (it's easy enough to find though ;)).

If you are willing to spend a little bit more money then I always recommend using a separate router and some AP's like the Netgear WG302's (these are a pain too though becuase none of the Netgear publicly release firmware is any good. To get them working you have to downloading the beta firmware.

Anyways, if money isn't an option and you need an easy to setup solution then use the Airport Extreme with a couple Airport Expresses as repeaters if need be. If you want to spend half as much money then go with the WRT54G and WAP54G's if you need repeaters (harder to setup correctly though).

Well said. As I understand it, the hardware in the WRT54G is the same as in Buffalos WBR-G54, which us ReplayTv folks swear by. The built in bridging capablilities are awesome. I picked up one from outpost.com for like $15 with a rebate. They are running about $53 (with shipping) right now. Well worth the cost of either of the 2, though I'm not sure how much the WRT54G is running.

dungdealer

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2004
i have a dlink. it's fine and dandy, reliable, fairly fast. But what i REALLY want is an airport express. wifi-g, portability, airtunes, wifi print server. all in one convenient pkg. you don't know how lucky you are to be in this position and have a legitimate reason to buy an airport express!

x86isslow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2003
USA
i bought into the excitement over iTunes streaming, and bought an Airport Express. All I can say is it has been a headache compared to the DLink I have at home. I've had to reset it quite a few times, and it overheats really easily (it shuts down on overheat). I've recently taken to putting an ice tray on top of it just to keep it cool. :(

if I were you I'd stay away from Express until rev B.

just my opinion,
Varun.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
x86isslow said:
i bought into the excitement over iTunes streaming, and bought an Airport Express. All I can say is it has been a headache compared to the DLink I have at home. I've had to reset it quite a few times, and it overheats really easily (it shuts down on overheat). I've recently taken to putting an ice tray on top of it just to keep it cool. :(

My dlink sucks... It is constantly needing to be restarted. I can't wait to get a linksys WAP.

jaromski

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2004
zion
linksys vs. d-link vs. airport express

seems like router choice is a bit anecdotal, so let me add my two bits.

at first i used netgear stuff. but it would always die 6-12 months after i bought it. this happened to a few switches so i think netgear != quality.

then i went to d-link. they seemed quite reasonably priced compared to the other routers, linksys, etc. but after two months the d-link stopped working. it was a 614+ which was a combo lan switch + wireless. the wireless stopped communicating one day and i got pissed and threw it against the wall. it felt good at the time, but then i had to go to best buy for my next victim...

enter stage left, linksys wrt54g. great router. i have had it now for almost 6 months with only one reportable incident. one day i was surfing on my pb and the airport indicator went out. i couldn't figure it out but instead of throwing it against the wall i tried rebooting it, etc., then i updated the firmware and it came back to life. it even added WPA encryption which works really well with my PB. not so well with XP, but not my problem, not my laptop.

i just bought an airport express and it seems like it is very high quality. i have only had it for a couple days but if you have the $$$ i would recommend this one over the others. it acts as a combo printer/audio/ethernet (or wireless) server. plus the signal strength is very good. but it is $130, the linksys can be had for $50-$75.

jaromski

muckanoo

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2004
PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!

I have recently bought an imac G5, airport extreme card and a Netgear DG834G, I have also got a PC which is able to access the internet fine through the netgear, However when i'm trying to setup a wireless connection from my mac it cannot see the network. The airport card is on, TCP/IP is set to using DHCP but still I have no connection, can anybody please shed some light on this for me? I would be most grateful

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
I have the day to fish around and found this thread.

I have to AP exp and love them, got a dell x300 laptop with xp pro from work and it is on the network no problem. Also have a printer connected to one of the 2 AP exp and it has worked like a dream. HIGHLY recommend them. Just bought the monster cables for hookup to the stereo, should have it up and running pre new years ( too busy now ).

Mac users, get the APexp, you will love it. I also recommend it for travelers...use it in the hotel room, or just for XP users who want reliability.

igucl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2003
x86isslow said:

if I were you I'd stay away from Express until rev B.

just my opinion,
Varun.

I do think that you must have a lemon. I have not had a lick of trouble with my Express.

RobbyRoo

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2004
I was going to get a Linksys. But the Apple rep at Comp USA said that Belkin services mac better.

The Belkin router cost $50. But when I got my receipt, there was a $35 rebate! So for a mere $15 I'm now wireless. :D

A big savings from the $120+ of Airport Express. And my needs are filled. I wasn't looking for any special features. Just an internet connection.

891343.jpg

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
first I had a netgear Wired router, later I sold it and bought my Belkin Wireless router, the Wireless Function stopped from working after 1,5y of use...
now I bought the Airport Express, because it's small, no problems with overheating (like someone else here has...)
perfect for me since I only need it for one computer & can use the 'invisible' option (wich means no one can access it unless they know the channel, name and password... and since I limited it to one IP then still no one can logon to it -maximum security haha-)
and about range, if it was needed I would go for the extreme base station and get a good external antenna for both base station & G5... or Express as repeater...
my Airport Express has a better range than my Belkin did...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.