Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Croatian

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2006
Ontario, Canada
What is the best wireless router for mac systems, i need something that has good speed (since there will be 5 laptops using the internet connection and 1 desktop computer) and very good range. The price is not really an issue but i don' want something that’s going to cost me more then $400

Thank you
Dane

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
$400? You'd be hard pressed to find one that comes even near that price for basic home users :)

If you're not restrained by a budget, macs work best with an airport extreme or express. But then again, macs work well with all sorts of routers. Many routers have lan ports for wired connections as well as wireless ones. You'll only need a wireless g router; macs only have g cards, but I've heard that the new imacs may be wireless n capable.

It depends on what you need - I don't have any wired connections, so I prefer the airport express because it has wireless printing capabilities. My old D-Link was great, and was configurable via a web browser with many options.

sblasl

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2004
Heber Springs, AR
I would hold off on purchasing the Airport Extreme until MWSF to see if they update to the Draft n standard, seeing as the latest computers released by Apple has the Draft n standard plus the iTV will most likely incorporate the standard as well.

Just my 2 cents, the Airport Extreme is way overpriced considering options from Buffalo & Linksys plus the size/shape is so unconventional. Had one of the original Airport Base Stations, unique but...:(

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
I have a D-Link DGL-4300 that I'm very happy with. One of the main selling points to me was the built-in gigabit ethernet switch. Tom's Networking has also had some nice things to say about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.