Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macrambo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2024
I currently have a Mac-mini desktop running Ventura 13.6.1
I'm trying to find a wireless security camera that doesn't require a cloud subscription.
I have my own personal cloud network with 16TB of available space that I would prefer to use for storage of my video.
I want motion detection recording capability as well as 24/7 recording if needed
I like the security light as well as a 2-way speaker capability.
I've tried a couple of cameras but I'm having a very hard time with all the cameras available today trying to find one that my Mac can discover on my network. I tried a RioLink but I can't delete any recording on the SD card, I can only view or download them. I would rather capture the motion video directly to my network cloud drive. Seems like this would be simple but trust me, it's not. I'm an avid computer user but this one has really got me stumped. All these cheap wireless cameras out there require a cloud subscription and that's what I don't want.
I can see the IP address but the computer/software cannot connect/find the device. I am also running a Nord VPN as well.
Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kenny99

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2018
ST. Louis, Mo.
I have a RioLink Camera and don't have any problem "Formatting" the SD card. I wait until the SD is 75% - 95% full, review the videos (save the ones I want) then Format it. My SD is much larger than what the Camera instructions said was the Max size.
Also consider the Wireless will need to have their batteries charged or Solar panels for charging.
Suggest picking a brand "RioLink, Ring", etc. and stick with it. Mixing may cause problems.
I am not a big security system person, just enough to feel safe, so there may be others with better suggestions.

Macrambo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2024
I wasn't having trouble formatting the disk. I was trying to figure out why you had to remove the SD card to delete the old files. This camera was mounted outside and getting the SD card removed required dismounting the camera from its base. Very difficult process just to remove the card.
The camera set up process allowed for remote storage of video but didn't work well at all and still recored all video to the card. This is what I was trying to get away from was I wanted all recording to be done/sent to my network drive for easier management.
The brand was a ReoLink Argus 3 Pro. Half the time when it detected motion it would not record and the other half the time when it did, it was very slow at beginning the video from the first detection of the motion and would abruptly quit while. there was still motion in the video?
Thanks for the post!

Macrambo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2024
Just to clarify, I meant to say it was impossible to delete individual files. The only option was to format the entire disk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.