Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevemolitor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
I'm having trouble connecting to the internet wirelessly in one particular cafe that I frequent. I can connect fine at other places or at home. Other folks I talked to at this cafe can connect fine, but they're all using windows machines. When I go to the network section of system preferences, it tells me that it is connected to the cafe's wireless network just fine with a good strong signal, but that it could not get an assigned dynamic DHCP address, and 'may not be connected to the internet'. (It just made up its own IP address.) Rebooting, turning on and off airport, renewing the DHCP lease, etc., didn't work. I tried manually configuring the DHCP address just typing guesses for the IP address; naturually that didn't work. (Maybe if I tried long enough??? ;) ) This recently started happening at this cafe; I had no problems connecting before. I suspect it's something on their side, but naturally the folks behind the counter aren't very technical and can't help me much.

Any ideas would be appreciated. If this is the wrong forum, please redirect me.

I'm using OS X Panther, 10.3.8, with a 17" G4, 1.33 ghz PowerBook.

Thanks!

Steve

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.