Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
Hello,

Looking to put a few Cat5 Network Face Plates in my room to tidy up wiring on my desk, and I'm looking for some guides and/or help to as to how I wire them up.

I have two faceplates with 2 connections on each, does each connection need a single network cable running to it or can I daisy chain them somehow? Not sure, and just after a little help.

Thanks,
Mark.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
No, you can't daisy chain.. each one will need its own line connecting it to whatever's on the other end.

When you strip back the insulation on a CAT5/CAT6 cable, you'll see 4 sets of 2 wires each twisted around each other (hence the common name "twisted pair"). Each pair will be color-coded, e.g. a blue wire and white-with-blue-stripes.

Most of the jacks just use a simple punch-down tool to pinch the wires into the jack. They're color coded, and the jack should tell you what colors go where.

There are two wiring standards that are almost the same, called T568-A and T568-B. The jack's color coding might give you options for both. It doesn't matter which one you use as long as you're consistent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.