Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sevenseconds

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2013
My music library (3TB) lives on a brand new G Drive external hard drive. When I delete a song in Music, I get this popup. I never receive a popup asking if I want to keep the file on my computer.

In fact, the strangest thing happens: The song disappears from my external drive but is not visible in Trash. It is also not visible in the hidden Trash on the external drive.

The deleted songs basically live in a netherworld where they are not in Finder, not in Trash...I've deleted hundreds of songs and rather than going into Trash where I can recover them, they basically...cease to exist! Also of note: despite deleting hundreds of songs over the past few days, the used storage space on my external drive has not changed. So not only can't I see them after deleting, they are not saving me any space once I do delete.

For the external drive, I have "Ignore Ownership On this volume" checked.

Can anyone suggest how to find these "ghosted" files?

Screen Shot 2021-07-28 at 10.54.39.png

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
Do you use iTunes Match?
I think this error is saying iTunes does not have a copy of some tracks, so it will leave the files un-deleted so you don’t permanently lose them. The “computer where you uploaded” is rather nebulous, however. Might be worth having a chat in the Apple support app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.